Can I cycle new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Can I cycle new tank

Hello All,

I am setting up betta tanks, and I would like to cycle them with sponge filter from my cichlid setup.
Here is my question: Sponge is in the tank with 8.6pH, and betta tank is going to be around 6pH not right away, but eventually.
Is this going to work?

Thanks
Aram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 03:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Just move the sponge filter to the tank to be cycled. Don't worry about your pH at the moment. Worry about that after you finish cycling and you have the time to tune your parameters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 07:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ph does matter with cycling. The bacteria grow faster in alkaline water and reproduce much slower in acidic water. Very acidic and they go dormant and eventually die. The bacteria will be the same type if that's your question from one ph to another. But you can take advantage of a alkaline ph for quicker cycling.

What is your tap PH after degassing?(are you going to use tap)?
How do you plan on keeping a ph of 6 in your beta tank?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you All for reply.

Fiftymeatballs - as you know pH swings a little here in NYC.
So from what I tested maybe a year ago, I had 7.1pH tap, and 6.8pH after 24 hrs, and then back to 7.0-6.9pH.
For my cichlids I buffer the the water, and it works. I get 8.6pH.

To keep the low pH in my upcoming betta tanks, I'm thinking to use RO/DI device, but not for 100% water. Also I have some Almond tree leaves.
Was hopping to collect some branches from park and oak leaves and cook some black water. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks
Aram
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paronaram View Post
Thank you All for reply.

Fiftymeatballs - as you know pH swings a little here in NYC.
So from what I tested maybe a year ago, I had 7.1pH tap, and 6.8pH after 24 hrs, and then back to 7.0-6.9pH.
For my cichlids I buffer the the water, and it works. I get 8.6pH.

To keep the low pH in my upcoming betta tanks, I'm thinking to use RO/DI device, but not for 100% water. Also I have some Almond tree leaves.
Was hopping to collect some branches from park and oak leaves and cook some black water. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks
Aram

Oh yea I know exactly what your water is like, we have the same source.

Why do you think you need RO?
RO water is stripped completely and is very susceptible to ph swings, you have to remineralize. Seems you know this since you say you plan on only using some RO water and some tap. Honestly I think it's a waste of time and money for keeping betas given how good our tap is. If you go RO keep in mind our tap water mixed in won't be enough KH to buffer your PH. You will need to dose baking soda carefully and accurately, or keep a limestone rock in the tank or crushed coral in the filter. Achieving a KH or 1-2 is plenty to buffer and is very important for stability. I dose a GH booster to our tap for the plants as well.

We have perfectly fine tap water for keeping most all species of fish and plants, I recommend you add a little KH and GH based on species since its very similar to RO water. Most people would kill for our tap water. The ph is neutral to slightly acidic, KH 0-1, GH-0-1, TDS-40-60.
You will remineralize to the liking of your fish and plants, lower PH with peat, driftwood or aqua soil. You can up the PH with crushed coral like your doing etc. It's easy to work with. You could get away with just tap without remineralizing if your carful with what you put in the tank hardscape wise. Driftwood can lower the ph so much it crashes. So if your planning on lowering a already volatile PH water like our tap just keep an eye on things. I have experienced ph crashes in both my discus and shrimp tank before. Large driftwood in my discus tank caused the ph swing to drop into the 4's killing all the bacteria in my filter. The aqua soil in my shrimp tank did not hold a steady buffer and in combo with RO water and tap my ph dropped to the 4's killing bacteria and some shrimp. The shrimp like 0KH which is why I did not add any. Now I am buffering at 1kh, holding stable.

If you want to spend the money on RO just make sure you add back KH and GH to the water. Be very carful adding KH if your dosing baking soda, a little goes a long way and you can kill your beta with unstable parameters.

Last edited by Fiftymeatballs; 01-28-2014 at 12:23 AM. Reason: edit
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for tips.
I do have already RO/DI - so it's optional.
All I need is to go as low as 6pH
I will a small drift wood, low light plants and 1 or 2 almond leaves .

Thanks again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode