Questions on a Java Fern Wall - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Questions on a Java Fern Wall

I have two Java fern plants in my 10g tank that both have leaves covered in many tiny leaves. Am I correct in assuming these can be plucked off to create new plants? There are also a few plantlet bunches ready to be pulled from the tips of leaves that are complete with roots.

I can't afford the silly prices for driftwood these days, so I was thinking of using some plastic craft store grids and tying the little sprouts on to form a sort of wall of fern. My only problem is that I am not too sure how to attach the smaller leaflets since I can't visibly see any roots coming from them yet. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 01:31 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here's a method of doing that with moss.
http://www.aquamoss.net/How%20to%20c...oss%20wall.htm

I don't know if that would be the same procedure with java ferns.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:39 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
If there is no roots on the little plantlets dont pluck them yet. They need to have a good root system going and a few leaves in order to be able to continue growing if you pluck them. I try and wait till the leaves are atleast 2" and roots nearly as much.

Dont know if I've ever seen a java fern wall. The problem would be that java ferns as they grow can get very large. I have some that are easily the height of a 10g tank, and as they grow out the top of the water the leaves tips will dry up and die most likely (unless its very humid?).

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

My tanks are very low-tech really, so plant growth is slow. I only dose with Excel once a week - if I remember to do so. I was hoping to place the smaller bits into my 29g because I have a lot of room in there, but the substrate is not ideal for any type of plant right now. I had thought that the plantlets would have time and room enough to grow until I have the time and money to re-do the aquarium. By that time they would be transferred to driftwood or some other decor.

As I mentioned, the tank is low-tech, so the plantlets are quite modest. One is large enough to transfer, having over 5 leaves of its own and decent roots shooting out. Two more will be large enough in a month or so. They also have good roots right now, but only 2-3 leaves each.

Then there is that leaf on my other fern plant...it looks like it's dying, hanging on by a mere thread. Yet on its entire surface there are about 20 leaves. They have not grown much at all in 3 months time and I'm afraid the "mother" will completely separate and they will all die as a result. I am just not sure what to do about it. I wasn't planning to add CO2 to the 10g, but would doing so cause these little guys to grow faster to a point where I can pluck them before the mother leaf completely dies off? I don't have a macro, so here is a not-so-great shot to sort of illustrate
Attached Images

Last edited by windy; 10-26-2007 at 05:53 AM. Reason: edited to add photo
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 06:05 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post
I can't afford the silly prices for driftwood these days,
I think a wall of ferns would look pretty cool and it's def. a neat idea.

I don't agree that driftwood is all that expensive though... I bought two really nice pieces of Mopani wood from Petsmart for $6.99 each. Both are over 12" long. I could've gone with just the one but I wanted a lot of wood in the tank. Plus the one piece is half buried because I only liked the ends of it.

Check them out if you have one by you. All of the ones by me carry it, and I have seen some really unique pieces that any tank owner would love.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

I have looked, unfortunately. There are several local fish-only shops as well as PetCo and PetSmart. I found pieces the height of a coffee mug going for $14, more for larger pieces. I'm not sure if they are marked wrong or insanely overpriced, but either way I'm not going to spend that much on a small bit of wood. I do keep an eye-out on e-bay, but shipping can be costly in some instances.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've also tied Java Ferms to rocks. Decent sized ones I picked up here and there (free!!!). I just boiled them b4 dropping them in. Ta-Da!
________
Bubbler Pipe

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 12:19 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 07:29 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I agree that $14 for a small piece is ridiculous. I saw a piece I wish I had picked up for $6.99 at Petsmart that looked like a stump and was about 8" high. It would've looked great in my 10 gal... oh well, live and learn. When you see cheap nice driftwood, buy it!

What about finding a piece somewhere in nature for free??
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Banned

bayleesfishees has driftwood for cheap. 5 bucks a peice and 15 bucks for shipping. I ordered 6 peices for 45 bucks and they are all nice big and have character
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
You can tie them to that plastic grid. I did the same thing with Anubias to create a wall. Attaching the plants to the grid is easy. If the ferns have a rhizome, you just tie it on. The hard part is attaching the grid to the glass wall. If you empty the tank of water you can use silicone, or you can try attaching suction cups to the grid, but I had a hard time finding anything to attach the suction cups that would last and not eventually come loose. Super glue worked about the best. Suction cups do not always hold their suction either. I eventually gave up. It was fun playing with it for a while though. You can also silicone sheets of cork to the glass.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 10:58 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
I don't know how a Java fern wall would look. I know what a Java moss wall looks.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 11:14 PM

If you live in Canada (at least one the west coast) driftwood costs silly money. Sadly, most of the American companies with really good prices won't ship to the US, and those that do you lose the deal on the international shipping costs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode