Overkill? xP3 on 29g... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Overkill? xP3 on 29g...

I already ordered my xP3 and its been lying around my house for a while until I can tear down the 29g and start over Hi-Tech. Do you think the xP3 is too strong? Should I have gone with the xP2? The reason why I bought the xP3 over the xP2 is because Bigalsonline.com was having a sale and it was only 5$ more... Will I be able to slow down the flow enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmLaracy View Post
Do you think the xP3 is too strong?
Should I have gone with the xP2?
Will I be able to slow down the flow enough?
NO, NO, YES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

thanks spypet

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
It will be a lot easier to decrease flow (turn the valve with two fingers) than it will be to increase. XP3 is the right choice here, not the XP2
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Good, thanks for the help
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
You will love the xp3 xD

i have one flowing full flow atm in my 20 gallon planted o.o
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

NICE! I can't wait to get everything running... Especially the ADA stuff, oh how much joy I'll get by pushing the purchase button for that shopping cart!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Oh, how much misery your wallet will get by pushing the purchase button for that shopping cart!

It's quite easy to spend quite a bit on an aquarium.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have a xp1 on my 37 gallon and it seems like to much sometimes. I dont know what you guys do with all that flow.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
I've got dead spots in my 29 with an XP2. It depends on your hardscape and plant density.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
i have a xp3 and a xp1, how do you decrease/increase the flow?

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:24 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
i have a xp3 and a xp1, how do you decrease/increase the flow?
There should have been a flow control piece in with all the parts that you can put in like hooked to the spraybar. I never installed them on my XP3's. I even have an XP3 right now on a 20g QT. The spraybar really spreads the flow out, its not even what I would call high flow in my 20g, at least with the way mine is setup. Its also running through a Turbo Twist UV so that reduces flow slightly. I've let the filter pads get a little clogged, and I dont clean them out as thoroughly and as often as I would on my larger tank where I want the most flow as possible.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy loaches View Post
There should have been a flow control piece in with all the parts that you can put in like hooked to the spraybar. I never installed them on my XP3's. I even have an XP3 right now on a 20g QT. The spraybar really spreads the flow out, its not even what I would call high flow in my 20g, at least with the way mine is setup. Its also running through a Turbo Twist UV so that reduces flow slightly. I've let the filter pads get a little clogged, and I dont clean them out as thoroughly and as often as I would on my larger tank where I want the most flow as possible.
i just broke out the xp3 user manual and found what your talking about, rena calls it an outflow regulator. i guess i didnt know what it was cause i never hooked it up either.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McgJosh View Post
I have a xp1 on my 37 gallon and it seems like to much sometimes. I dont know what you guys do with all that flow.
I also think this maybe a little too much.

I'm running an XP1 on a 35hex; very satisfied with how it's pushing the flow and the tank's doing great.

I'm also running an XP2 on my 46bowfront. Again, very happy with the amount of "flow".
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalfish View Post
Oh, how much misery your wallet will get by pushing the purchase button for that shopping cart!

It's quite easy to spend quite a bit on an aquarium.
Misery and bliss all at the same time!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode