Snails etc BBA - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snails etc BBA

Hi all - starting to have a bit of a BBA issue. Just started pressurized CO2 and added intank UV and seems to holding steady. I have a pant load of BN plecos to help (plus they're cute!) but wanted to add snails. The issue is I have a pretty hold handful of assassin snails that have been in there awhile to help with a ton of little snails I got from the plants. I'm assuming they would target even large snails (and shrimp?) if I add them. Any trick other than trying to pick them out individually?

Other question - I put a cap and a half of excel in daily. I've seen some "spot treating" with excel and don't understand how that's done. Is the plant pulled out, sprayed, then put back in?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

From what I know, people put Excel in a syringe and inject it on the plant directly.

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestHaven View Post
From what I know, people put Excel in a syringe and inject it on the plant directly.
Yep. Stop the filters and let the water become still before squirting it on the BBA, else the Excel will too quickly get dispersed. Then turn filters back on a few minutes later.

Don't exceed the amount of Excel you'd normally add. This means you have a relatively small amount to work with. If you have a lot of BBA to spot treat, try diluting with up to twice the volume of water; this doesn't seem to decrease its effectiveness.

3% hydrogen peroxide also works as a BBA spot treatment, and as you can use more (up to 2 tbsp./30mL per 10G of tank water volume), it's more convenient if you have a lot to treat.

There are also methods where the plant is pulled out soaked (dips), or sprayed. Or sprayed during a water change when the algae is out of the water. Many variations on a theme.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ah ok cool, thanks!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedoc View Post
Hi all - starting to have a bit of a BBA issue. Just started pressurized CO2 and added intank UV and seems to holding steady. I have a pant load of BN plecos to help (plus they're cute!) but wanted to add snails. The issue is I have a pretty hold handful of assassin snails that have been in there awhile to help with a ton of little snails I got from the plants. I'm assuming they would target even large snails (and shrimp?) if I add them. Any trick other than trying to pick them out individually?

Other question - I put a cap and a half of excel in daily. I've seen some "spot treating" with excel and don't understand how that's done. Is the plant pulled out, sprayed, then put back in?

Thanks in advance.
The assassin snails will eat most snails. What type were you thinking? They will take shrimp however it is rare. I had one in a shrimp tank. The snails were gone so I think the snail was hungry but...

I would just pluck them out when you see them. Personally I like them. They are better than a lot of smaller snails.

BBA is the scourge of many tanks. The most important (the only one we know of in fact) is stable CO2 over 15 ppm or so. You may simply need a higher level. Keep raising it until you see signs of distress then back off. Go SLOWLY though. Likely to take a few weeks to get it dialed in.

If treating algae under water turn of filtration and inject the excel or peroxide directly onto the algae. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and turn the filter back on. I prefer hydrogen peroxide myself. Cheaper and I can use more for spot treating.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

We do seem to think a like Darkcobra lol. I was writing my post when you posted. BTW I just read your post in the tank of the future. Replied on APC in the organics thread. Very nice!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Youch! Was thinking of some amano shrimp, the LFS (my brother-in-law's brother) has some in stock. So just standard hydrogen peroxide (like from CVS) is safe for use with fish at the above listed amounts?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedoc View Post
Youch! Was thinking of some amano shrimp, the LFS (my brother-in-law's brother) has some in stock. So just standard hydrogen peroxide (like from CVS) is safe for use with fish at the above listed amounts?
Don't let that alarm you. Cherry shrimp are cheap lol. A hungry assassin and a plump shrimp? Never turns out well lol

Yes. The plain peroxide you get at Walmart, CVS or any corner store. Darkcobra has a thread here, The one two punch. Good information here regarding whole tank peroxide treatment. When you do the math you will see you can use far more peroxide than expensive Excel and it works better IMO.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great! Thanks again to you both.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode