Open top aquarium or lid? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Open top aquarium or lid?

Just curious to what you guys thought about this....? What's better?

I personally like it better without my glass canopy on my tank. Only problem is, a lot of water evaporates within a couple weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Just curious to what you guys thought about this....? What's better?

I personally like it better without my glass canopy on my tank. Only problem is, a lot of water evaporates within a couple weeks.
I like open top. No decrease in light and good air circulation. Easy to do quick trimming or picking things out. Besides, I like looking down into the tank at times.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Well, if you have jumpers or lots of tanks lids are pretty much required. I like the minimal look without, especially where some plants are growing emersed, but all my tanks have tops.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I have one open, one with a lid and one 3/4 lid.

All of my jumpers are in the 40g open top tank. They stay in because the conditions are conducive to not jumping. Fish jump for specific reasons not for the joy of jumping. Eliminate the stimulus to jump, they don't jump.

The 56C is a high humidity Anubias Riparium. So obviously it needs a lid.

I have 3/4 lid on my 40g Aquaponic sump that houses my Goldfish. This lid is more to temp & humidity control. The tank & lid are 3/8" so I get some insulation benefit along with reducing evaporation.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Yeah I love having open top aquariums. If I have to get in there It just makes life easier to have open top. Plus I personally just like the way it looks with an open top, which really is the only thing that matters. I've never really had a problem with jumpers so I've never found a reason to have a lid. Only thing I have to watch out for is spraying things in the air like maybe an air freshener or when I spray cologne on. I try to make sure I'm never near the tank when I do this but there's always a chance something could happen.

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
If youve got a cat trying to drink the tank water like mine does then i think a lid is required in that sense.....BUT if you cat proof it then i say open top, its great to look down while planting to see open space to fit one more stem in their or to watch your fish school...i vote open top. Plus topoffs help with the water change aspect....

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I prefer an open top as well.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I cover my 36 bowfront with saran wrap because I was foolish and bought a T5 that doesn't allow for a lid. With my tank running at 79-80 F and my room getting down into the low 60's at night, I get a large amount of condensation running down the wrap and it doesn't dry up till about midday. My airflow comes from behind and the sides under the light where I've left it open.

I plan to use a lid on my 40b (not setup yet). I'll use it partially to block a slight amount of par and also to prevent evap. I'll likely leave the front flap raised for air flow. I've seen my filter outflow move the water in a way that wafts around my saran wrap cover...., I figure the front flap will do well enough to allow air exchange.

Lastly, I'm not embarrassed to say.. I have a big problem with dust. I already deal with the biofilm on top, but the dust just makes it so much worse. The entire central air system in this house needs to be cleaned out.

I really like the look of open top, but when I try it, I end up having to clean the topwater and top off the tank very often. I don't own a python yet and I really hate my buckets.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Because of the humidity I am slowly (as money permits) getting glass tops. It's just expensive to cover 50 tanks.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Some fish jump because you spook them when walking near the tank so it's not just about keeping good water params. It usually happens with new fish that aren't used to you or the tank yet.

What it really comes down to is what will you be keeping in the tank for livestock?

An example of a definite lid species would be discus. Without the lid on my 120 housing them I'd have lost several over the years. They not only cost $150-$200 each but they also splash and spook easily.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I run open tops on most of my tanks. I use canopies, and put egg crate diffusers on the backs to prevent jumpers,
and adventurous Apple snails from escaping.
[IMG][/IMG]

125 Gallon Planted Angelfish Tank

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 04:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Allred View Post
I run open tops on most of my tanks. I use canopies, and put egg crate diffusers on the backs to prevent jumpers,
and adventurous Apple snails from escaping.
[IMG][/IMG]
That's a good idea

~Sam

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I have glass top whenever I can. Helps with evaporation and stops jumpers. I always leave a slit in the back open for tubing/filters though and I think that thats enough for air circulation.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
i prefer open top, and do i where i can. Sometimes, like on my killifish, i waste money before go i okay i should have a top on this. i was in the process of breeding some beautiful stripped panchax killifish with gardneri, when my cat figured out how to get in the tank (with the top) and fished all of them out. i about killed the cat.

Will

on Facebook.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
i prefer open top, and do i where i can. Sometimes, like on my killifish, i waste money before go i okay i should have a top on this. i was in the process of breeding some beautiful stripped panchax killifish with gardneri, when my cat figured out how to get in the tank (with the top) and fished all of them out. i about killed the cat.
I don't blame you at all hahaha

~Sam

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode