U.P. Aqua Co2 Indicator not working? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/80%)
U.P. Aqua Co2 Indicator not working?

I am using this indicator, does anyone else use it? I filled it halfway with 4DKH fluid and put 5 drops of the ph drops in there like it said. It's stayed like the same color ever since I got it, I increased the co2 this morning also and still no change like 5 hours later. When I put the 5 drops in, the 4dkh fluid turns green and its been green ever since.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
As far as I know drop checker starts with blue when there's not enough Co2 and turns green when there is. Why don't you empty it and start over.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just re did it and it starts out green for me with 5 drops and half 4dkh fluid. Maybe it's different than most, not sure. Will see if it changes this time I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Its possible the 4dkh solution or pH liquid is at fault. I was sold crap solution and watered down pH test solution off the internet. Test you water the old school way to make sure ur stuff is good. Otherwise u put to much pH solution in the mix or ur not getting co2
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sounds like the solution. I use this DC and it works fine. I made my own solution though and when I fill it starts out blue then changes green as the co2 builds up. It does like to detach from the wall once a week so watch for that.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
yep sounds like your 4dkh fluid has something wrong with it

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:35 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
Why did you even have to add bromothymol blue? I thought the solution already came with the reagent?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Directions say use tank water, but it came with 4dkh fluid. So I filled it halfway and put 5 ph drops in there like it said.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Your just supposed to fill it up with 4dkh fluid, also only add enough ph drops to be able to see the color in the indicator.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:24 AM
Dwarf Fish Lover

PTrader: (19/100%)

Yup. Mine does the same. 5 drops of broom thymolblue and fill 4dkh to the line, the fluid turns dark green and stays the same color forever. I tested the "4dkh" with API KH test kit and it actually showed the fluid has 5dkh. So this is what I did. I drop one drop of bromothymol blue and then add just a little( maybe 10 drops?) of the 5dkh solution. Then I start to drop my softer(2dkh) tap water in to that fluid until the color turn from green to blue. I then pour the extra fluid out, cap it. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

器材党
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:27 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhu89151734 View Post
Yup. Mine does the same. 5 drops of broom thymolblue and fill 4dkh to the line, the fluid turns dark green and stays the same color forever. I tested the "4dkh" with API KH test kit and it actually showed the fluid has 5dkh. So this is what I did. I drop one drop of bromothymol blue and then add just a little( maybe 10 drops?) of the 5dkh solution. Then I start to drop my softer(2dkh) tap water in to that fluid until the color turn from green to blue. I then pour the extra fluid out, cap it. Done.

I'm not sure where you got the 4 dkH reference solution, but perhaps it was not prepared properly.

As for your method, you should not be mixing it with tap water.

If you want to try diluting it (which is not recommended, because you would be trying to reduce 17.8 ppm of carbonate hardness, which is very difficult), you should be using distilled water anyway.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Dwarf Fish Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I'm not sure where you got the 4 dkH reference solution, but perhaps it was not prepared properly.

As for your method, you should not be mixing it with tap water.

If you want to try diluting it (which is not recommended, because you would be trying to reduce 17.8 ppm of carbonate hardness, which is very difficult), you should be using distilled water anyway.

Thanks for the tip. I bought it from SnS about 7 months ago. Maybe it just gone bad. I will just go ahead and pick up a new one.

As others said, OP, I also think it is the problem with the 4dkh solution. Maybe getting a replacement will fix it.

器材党
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Dwarf Fish Lover

OK. So since Darkblade said it was not recommended to mess with the 4dkh solution, I did something g today that can also get the blue color instead of green.
1. Drop only one drop bromothymol blue
2. Add 4dkh solution once per drop and well mix the fluid before continue to next drop.
3. Monitor the color of the fluid after each drop, until you see the color changed from green to blue ( mine turned to blue after I fill the cap about 2/3 full).
4. Dump the extra, only leave half cap of fluid in there.

I just put mine in there and still waiting to see if that will work.

器材党
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:24 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhu89151734 View Post
OK. So since Darkblade said it was not recommended to mess with the 4dkh solution, I did something g today that can also get the blue color instead of green.
1. Drop only one drop bromothymol blue
2. Add 4dkh solution once per drop and well mix the fluid before continue to next drop.
3. Monitor the color of the fluid after each drop, until you see the color changed from green to blue ( mine turned to blue after I fill the cap about 2/3 full).
4. Dump the extra, only leave half cap of fluid in there.

I just put mine in there and still waiting to see if that will work.

This is a very unusual method of setting up your drop checker, and in all likelihood, your "4 dkH" reference solution was not made correctly.

Properly made 4 dkH reference solutions never start off green. All the reference solutions I have made always start off blue, and do not change colour despite how much reference solution is added.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Anyone recommend where I get some new 4dkh?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode