Help - Anubias with holes and decaying leaves - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Help - Anubias with holes and decaying leaves

Over the past 4-6 weeks my anubias plants have been getting holes and decaying leaves. I was also battling bba on these plants and my val's around the same time. I threw out the val's and removed the anubias from the tank to do the one two punch of peroxide and excel treating. I removed most of the bad leafs but the holes keep coming back.

About 2 months ago I switched from T5 6700k lights to a 30" Planted+ led.
About 3 weeks ago I switched from Seachem ferts to dry ferts using EI method.

I have a 29 gallon tank and I'm using 20-40 gallon dosing.

I believe my nitrate kit is bad because my reading was 80+ppm but the LFS tested it at 20ppm.

I have a common pleco (i need to rehome since he is getting big), SAE's, neons, Clown loach and tiger barbs.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 01:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I don't know for certain what is causing the problem in your anubias, but mine had a rough time after I tried dipping them in peroxide. I just assumed I had the solution too strong and it hurt the leaves. That could be your problem as well.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelady View Post
I don't know for certain what is causing the problem in your anubias, but mine had a rough time after I tried dipping them in peroxide. I just assumed I had the solution too strong and it hurt the leaves. That could be your problem as well.

Did yours ever recover?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Looks like you may have spot treated the leaves with Excel ? I did some experiments (on purpose) and may the leaves look like this. Note the smaller leaves next to them look great. I'd clip the dying ones and move on...figure out your root cause of the BBA to the best of your knowledge & research then prevent. Make sure you've got good water column ferts going and decent circulation.

Check out my recent post for anubias. See what I started with was was all BBA and potassium deficiencies.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...890&highlight=

There's hope to be had.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 04:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I recently went though the same problem with switching and all my Glosso started getting holes and looking similar. I went back to adding about 1/2 a dose of Flourish and a full dose of Nitrogen in addition with Dry Ferts and things stabilized. Don't know if this will work for you but most likely your tank is starving from the lack of some fert it was used to getting. That and as stated above Excel can be really rough on some plants
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for your replies.

I forgot to mention in my post that I am pumping pressurized CO2 and my checker is a very light green. I also have 8 hour photo period.

I did spot dose Excel at first but was still having issues with bba. I decided to just take them out and give them a full dip. I probably left them in to long or had to much excel or peroxide. The good news I haven't seem any bba for the past couple weeks and new leaves look good so far. I will remove the bad leaves and maybe dose some Flourish as Rocky suggested since I still have some from my office tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode