Opinions on Pond snails (AND now Mystery snails to) please?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Opinions on Pond snails (AND now Mystery snails to) please??

I have some pond snails in my tank. I just noticed them a couple of weeks back. They must have hitchhiked in on some plants.
I like the way they look, and so far I havent noticed any damage done to my plants.
Does anyone have any opinions on whether their good or bad in a planted tank? Thanks!!

Last edited by annyann; 01-27-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Need to add that Im wondering about Mystery snails now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 11:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Wish I had more of them in my tanks! They are good in my book!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
They will not eat healthy plants but they will eat dead plant matter, clean your glass, and leftover food. They are a great indicator of you overfeeding your other aquarium stock; too much food= explosion in snail population. Many people do not like them and assume that snails eating damaged/dieing plant matter is them destroying healthy parts of a plant.
If you do not want them anymore its easy enough to squish them against the glass. Some loach species eat them as we'll as dwarf puffers but the latter tend not to do well in community tanks. You can prevent new ones from being introduced to your tank by doing a bleach or peroxide dip (very diluted, mostly water) of new plants before they go in the tank.
I currently have snails in my planted tanks though I've moved most of them to a driftwood soaking bin and toss in dead aquatic plants to build up the # for future dwarf puffers.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (71/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
They will not eat healthy plants but they will eat dead plant matter, clean your glass, and leftover food. They are a great indicator of you overfeeding your other aquarium stock; too much food= explosion in snail population. Many people do not like them and assume that snails eating damaged/dieing plant matter is them destroying healthy parts of a plant.
If you do not want them anymore its easy enough to squish them against the glass. Some loach species eat them as we'll as dwarf puffers but the latter tend not to do well in community tanks. You can prevent new ones from being introduced to your tank by doing a bleach or peroxide dip (very diluted, mostly water) of new plants before they go in the tank.
I currently have snails in my planted tanks though I've moved most of them to a driftwood soaking bin and toss in dead aquatic plants to build up the # for future dwarf puffers.

I fully agree with AquaAurora
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

I got lots of them in my 17g, I just vaccuum the babies during water change. They breed fast and grows fast.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks everyone for replying!! I appreciate it very much. I do like the snails, I think they add interest to my tank. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to remove them.
It will be an extra bonus if they will help keep the algae at bay.
I wonder why there are so many folks that don't want them in their tanks...
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
They're pretty good when boiled then put into a pasta gravy. A little chewy though.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by annyann View Post
Thanks everyone for replying!! I appreciate it very much. I do like the snails, I think they add interest to my tank. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to remove them.
It will be an extra bonus if they will help keep the algae at bay.
I wonder why there are so many folks that don't want them in their tanks...
If you've ever seen a pond snail population explode you'll understand why. I had this happen in my 125 due to a brown algae outbreak when I started. After a lot of squishing and time they are down to a small population now
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Snail explosion rarely happen with pond snails, mostly just ramshorn. If they do explode from overfeeding so be it and if you ask me I would rather have some snails let me know if I am overfeeding, then my fish dying from overfeeding and bad water. Also, if they do overpopulate they always balance out. I like having old snails shells as part of the substrate, which gives it more of a natural look. I dont understand why people dont like snails. They also eat algae and dead matter that would rot if not eaten by snails and funk up the water quicker. Have you ever smelled rotten vegetation?? Yuck! People want to control so much that they cant just let nature do its thing. This is were alot of noobs or newbs mess up with planted tanks. Its about balance and not control!The more you fight it the worse it gets.

+
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had bladder snails and those pesky tiny ramshorn snails ,the ones that grow a couple of mm max.....I got some assassin snails ,and the bladder ones were eaten ,the tiny ramshorns ,not so much.Maybe they're too small for the assassins to see them.....
In conclusion ,I too found out that overfeeding is the main cause of them multiplying ,they are beneficial ,up until they multiply so much that you see them everywhere.....if kept under control they can be of help to the environment you create in your tank.

Can't come to work today ,Boss......I've got Bolbitis...
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Some people just find them icky, others keep a tank aesthetic that doesn't fare well with indeterminate numbers of snails bumbling about the place. Happily for me, I like jungles and snails fit right in. Yes, it's occasionally annoying to sort out excess populations and assassin snails always seem to best like eating the snails I most want to keep, but I don't feel a tank is complete without at least a couple snails tucked away here and there.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I actually tried to get a big pond snail population going in my 10 gal tank so I could feed them to my Bluegills. Figured my Bluegills would eat them too fast if I tried it in their tank. Unfortunately they don't seem to want to eat them. They are called "shellcrackers" in some areas so thought they'd love them. I sometimes see them grab one but not very often. Must be feeding my fish too good & they prefer it over the snails. LOL

I don't mind them .. as others said they're a good indication of overfeeding, etc.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:39 AM
Algae Grower

I like them, I started with one that came in on a plant in my 10gal and it quickly multiplied into at least 50. They are awesome for the tank but thats just too many so you might want to keep that in mind.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I kept pond snails in a small unestablished tank after taking them out my other one, didn't feed them, they reproduced massively in a empty tank with no algae, they will reproduce massively IME with no food, five or six ended up about 60 in no time. They don't indicate over feeding.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Snails do serve a useful function in a tank IMO, but pond snails in particular can reproduce wildly with very little food.

I don't mind snails. I just don't want them becoming an eyesore. So my primary means of pond snail control is simply to add more snails. Ramshorn snails compete with pond snails for food, but aren't so prolific. With both in a tank, the total number of snails is lessened.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode