80*F Dwarf Neon Barrel in -Degree weather - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
80*F Dwarf Neon Barrel in -Degree weather

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share some pics of my water barrel that I keep outside by my front door. It has been in the negative F temps for awhile now but this barrel has been able to maintain its heat. I do use a trash can lid to keep it covered so it doesnt evaporate too quickly. I have a group of Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish that reside their, started as a pair but bred this summer. It has Hudoroi Crypt, Unknown Moss, Anubias, HC, and Some kind of Ludwigia for Fauna. Maybe some Orange shrimp in there to but not sure, havent looked that hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thats cool hope it makes the winter , would really flourish during the summer

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Whoever manufactured those heaters would like to see those images lol. Ice against healthy moss. Amazing. Very cool (pun intended).

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqguy View Post
Thats cool hope it makes the winter , would really flourish during the summer
I actually set it up last June and the Neons Bred in it. Hoping it makes the winter too. Its been holding up real well so far. I actually have more worry about overheating the fish with the fluctuations of temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
Whoever manufactured those heaters would like to see those images lol. Ice against healthy moss. Amazing. Very cool (pun intended).
Thanks. Lol, I bet they would! Im sure whoever made the filter would too. I usually only run one 400w heater and it keeps up, unless it starts getting below 10F.

+
+
+

Last edited by knuggs; 01-24-2014 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This is a pic from this summer when I first set it up. I took the retrospiralis out along time ago.

+
+
+

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
O.K. I'm impressed!!!

I ran that same set up summer 2012

I started in mid April, shut it down Oct 1. I used a 300w heater early and late season with temps down to 40s over night. I used 1" styrofoam as a lid at night.

What I don't understand is how the HOB doesn't freeze?

Anyway
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, Dogfish! Glad to see your still around in the hobby! Been awhile since Ive been on any forums. Are those crypts you were growing in yours? How did they do, if so?

The circulation of the water keeps it from freezing since it is pulling the warm water up. It doesnt flow very fast either more of a trickle since the moss is trying to eat it.

+
+
+

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So, I filled the barrel back up to top level yesterday and found 5 lil babies floating around the top. The Neon Rainbows must think its still breeding season. Heres a pic for proof, kinda hard to see but they are there

+
+
+

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is amazing!
Bet the fish would be quite surprised to see their surroundings haha
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Lol, if they only knew!

+
+
+

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have been looking to do a pond here but I know that a lot of people have told me theirs freeze over. I'd really like to do one like yours. Do you mind elaborating on the set up? Specifically how many gallons and how do you heat it? Just any 400w heater? Thank you.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuggs View Post
Thanks, Dogfish! Glad to see your still around in the hobby! Been awhile since Ive been on any forums. Are those crypts you were growing in yours? How did they do, if so?....
Hey nice to see you posting again. Yep the Crypts did well that summer. Do to shift in the path the Sun Travels Spring, Summer, Fall I start to decline in photo period end August.

I didn't set up the Whiskey Barrel last summer. I did manage to get myself a free 150 Rubbermade horse trough. So next year I'm going to set that up on the South East corner. I should get much better light.

And NOW you have fry!!! Whoa!!! that is wild considering how cold & nasty winters been here in the midwest. I-65 is just a nightmare.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishumms View Post
I have been looking to do a pond here but I know that a lot of people have told me theirs freeze over. I'd really like to do one like yours. Do you mind elaborating on the set up? Specifically how many gallons and how do you heat it? Just any 400w heater? Thank you.
Water circulation helps to keep ponds or water from freezing no matter if you have a heater or not.

I started from a old barrel that my gfs step dad had in his garden. It was half way buried and looked a wreck. The only they i clean of it was some old shingles, bits of trash, dirt, and unconnected moss. I didnt want to clean it to much because it was already able to hold water some what. As Ive kept it, it has sealed it self better but still leaks water but not always but not enough to make a big difference. Its actually nice cuz it lets me know when I need to add water and also keeps me from having to empty it.

It is about 30g, Im guessing. I used eco-complete for the substrate. The moss is one local to Indiana, I think not really sure how it even got moss on it considering it was in a garden. I keep Hudoroi crypts anubias and low light plants. Also, have a type of ludwiga in there but died back for winter but left seeds and stalks so should be interesting to see if it bounces back. Theres also some HC stuck to the moss that has been growing out recently and not sure where that came from cuz I havent seen it since I put it in there to begin with. I use regular tapwater. I also use a cheap walmart brand 10g HOB filter which Ive had for yrs before using it for the barrel.

The heater is just a regular fully submersible heater one is 400w and one is maybe 200W cant remember. I usually only run the 400w but when it gets under around 10F I need the other heater. Its crazy how much the other heater picks up the compensation. At -10F I had to turn the 400w almost all the way down because it was staying to hot 84F, which I like to keep it around 78. The temp does fluctuate alot daily can go from 70-80F from night and day. Fish dont seem to mind and are healthy happy and breeding and love the live food in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Hey nice to see you posting again. Yep the Crypts did well that summer. Do to shift in the path the Sun Travels Spring, Summer, Fall I start to decline in photo period end August.

I didn't set up the Whiskey Barrel last summer. I did manage to get myself a free 150 Rubbermade horse trough. So next year I'm going to set that up on the South East corner. I should get much better light.

And NOW you have fry!!! Whoa!!! that is wild considering how cold & nasty winters been here in the midwest. I-65 is just a nightmare.
Nice, just curious what kind of crypts were you keeping out there and what kind of substrate did you have in your pots? I keep mine at my front door and the front light is always on dont know if that helps but I keep mostly all low light plants even though some HC has been growing in the moss recently. I also have Hudoroi's in there.

Nice, I would like to see what the trough setup will look like. Ive been wanting to do something like that myself indoors but just dont have the room.

I forget your not that far from me. 65 can be a nightmare with all the traffic without the weather Im sure the polar vortexes arent helping.

+
+
+

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cool. Thank you very much. Once the weather changes and I can get a pond started I will be using your advice.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

No prob. Feel free to PM if you want. Im doing a somewhat big pond in the backyard this year. Got most of it dug already. Got a runoff in my backyard that has a sewer drain that Im gonna use as my overflow

+
+
+

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode