Cerges' Reactor vs needle wheel pump - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cerges' Reactor vs needle wheel pump

Cerges' Reactor vs needle wheel pump, my new tank is going to be 265g, with 75g sump.

I am trying to decide if I should built a Cerges' Reactor or use needle wheel pump in the sump.

Any suggestions as to why I should one over the other? Will I still have a lot of micro bubbles using the needle wheel?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
I have both in my tank. I run the co2 into a needle wheel pump and that feeds into a cerges reactor or bubble collector as I like to call it and the return from the reactor goes back into sump by the inlet of my main return pump. If you just run a needle wheel pump you will get millions of micro bubbles in your tank and I didn't care for the seltzer water look so went this route.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
I have both in my tank. I run the co2 into a needle wheel pump and that feeds into a cerges reactor or bubble collector as I like to call it and the return from the reactor goes back into sump by the inlet of my main return pump. If you just run a needle wheel pump you will get millions of micro bubbles in your tank and I didn't care for the seltzer water look so went this route.
Your tank looks beautiful, do you have any pictures or more details of how this works going from the needle wheel to the reactor? Are you saying the needle wheel pump is pushing the flow into the reactor? Then that just goes back into the sump?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
Your tank looks beautiful, do you have any pictures or more details of how this works going from the needle wheel to the reactor? Are you saying the needle wheel pump is pushing the flow into the reactor? Then that just goes back into the sump?
Thanks for the compliments. Yes the needle wheel just flows into the filter housing and then the output to that goes back into my sump and points by the inlet of my main return pump. You can see my thread on my reactor/bubble collector to see how simple it is to make one. I would suggest using a ball valve on the output of the reactor to control flow to keep the bubbles from just getting pushed through the reactor.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...361&highlight=

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments. Yes the needle wheel just flows into the filter housing and then the output to that goes back into my sump and points by the inlet of my main return pump. You can see my thread on my reactor/bubble collector to see how simple it is to make one. I would suggest using a ball valve on the output of the reactor to control flow to keep the bubbles from just getting pushed through the reactor.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...361&highlight=
Thanks so much for the link. I really like that idea.

So the pump just connects to the blue hose?
What size pump do you have connected to it?
Do you see any reason for larger canister that what you have for my setup? I am thinking no, but see they do have 20 inch as well.

I really like the idea of it not being on the main return pump. I would assume I could also connect my UV to the reactor.

Thanks for your help. Trying to finalize my setup here in the next few weeks for the place that going to be building it for me. I finally see light at the end of moving forward with mine.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
Thanks so much for the link. I really like that idea.

So the pump just connects to the blue hose?
What size pump do you have connected to it?
Do you see any reason for larger canister that what you have for my setup? I am thinking no, but see they do have 20 inch as well.

I really like the idea of it not being on the main return pump. I would assume I could also connect my UV to the reactor.

Thanks for your help. Trying to finalize my setup here in the next few weeks for the place that going to be building it for me. I finally see light at the end of moving forward with mine.
I didn't use the blue flex hose in the end. I thought I would need it to get past some other equipment I had but I ended up having room and the blue flex hose had too small of i.d. I also changed the elbow barb fittings for straight hose barb fittings as to not cut down too much flow. I use a Mag Drive 7 w/ needle wheel pump for my co2. I think you might be better to use the larger size filter housing for a tank of your size but it also depends on what you plan to use for your pump. I would run your uv on a separate pump if it were me but I guess that all depends on what size pump you will be using. You should start a journal of your tank if you haven't already. It's a good way to get some feedback or suggestions as you go.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:12 AM
Algae Grower

Hi,
do you have enough flow with Mag drive 7(NW)?I have two Cerges (12inch long) on outlet of 2 Eheim 2075 on 110G and they weaken my flow,therefore i gonna put both Cerges on inline loop with Mag 7 Drive with fractioning impeller both with venturi,so will be pump then one Cerges(catch most CO2 mist)then sec.Cerges(catch the rest) and return back to tank,but i don't know if the Mag 7 will be enough?
Thank's.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilstrom View Post
Hi,
do you have enough flow with Mag drive 7(NW)?I have two Cerges (12inch long) on outlet of 2 Eheim 2075 on 110G and they weaken my flow,therefore i gonna put both Cerges on inline loop with Mag 7 Drive with fractioning impeller both with venturi,so will be pump then one Cerges(catch most CO2 mist)then sec.Cerges(catch the rest) and return back to tank,but i don't know if the Mag 7 will be enough?
Thank's.
I have just the right amount of flow running the Mag 7 with my reactor but don't know how it would work running 2 reactors. I don't think it would make that much difference running another reactor but don't know how your whole setup is. I control the outlet of my reactor with a ball valve and after some adjustment I was able to get the flow from my pump to work with the amount of co2 I was injecting. I was getting some micro bubbles in my tank until I got the flow adjusted to the amount of co2 I was injecting. If your still getting micro bubbles in your tank then another reactor(or bubble collector) would not hurt anything. You could also get the same results just having a loop of tubing to help with the dwell time. Does your reactor outlet go directly back into your tank or do you have it feeding into a sump then being picked up by another pump? If you want more flow I would go with the Mag drive 9.5 to make sure you have enough flow.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think this is the housing I am going to buy. What do you think?

http://www.waterfilters.net/Big-Clea...r-Housing.html

or...

http://www.h2odistributors.com/ytb-20-cb1-pr.asp
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think those would work just fine. What pump are you going to run through this reactor?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I think those would work just fine. What pump are you going to run through this reactor?
Not sure yet, it won't be on my main return pump, so I assume I could just use one like you have for the reactor/CO2 and maybe my UV. I would like to only have total of 2 pumps, don't really want to have one alone for the UV, but if I have to I will.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 04:44 PM
Algae Grower

Smile

Quote:
I have just the right amount of flow running the Mag 7 with my reactor but don't know how it would work running 2 reactors. I don't think it would make that much difference running another reactor but don't know how your whole setup is. I control the outlet of my reactor with a ball valve and after some adjustment I was able to get the flow from my pump to work with the amount of co2 I was injecting. I was getting some micro bubbles in my tank until I got the flow adjusted to the amount of co2 I was injecting. If your still getting micro bubbles in your tank then another reactor(or bubble collector) would not hurt anything. You could also get the same results just having a loop of tubing to help with the dwell time. Does your reactor outlet go directly back into your tank or do you have it feeding into a sump then being picked up by another pump? If you want more flow I would go with the Mag drive 9.5 to make sure you have enough flow.
Thank's,my return will go back to my tank. I'll try both reactor because I have them already on my Eheims and I'll use ball valve behind the reactors,maybe I'll try 9.5 but the power consumption...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode