rinsing substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
rinsing substrate?

do i need to rinse my seachem flourite before putting in the tank or can it just go strait in from the bag.

G-mont all the way!

55 gal planted, 10 gallon electric yellow cichlid fry tank (gone), 18 gal electric yellow cichlid mouth brooder holding tank (gone), and soon to be a 55 gallon pimpin discus tank (workin on it)!

my journal link:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92% of teens have switched to rap music- if your part of the other 8%, add this to you're signature!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
You are going to want to rinse it, and rinse it will. Otherwise you will have a lot of mess.

125 Gallon AGA w/ Overflows
Filtration: Ehiem 2026 Filter, Dual "Ghetto" Overflow Internal Filters
Lighting: 1x96W Current USA CF - 2x96W Generic CF
Co2: Pressurized Co2 - Rex Grigg Regulator, SMS 122, and Rex Grigg Reactor.
Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 07:16 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yes. Rinse it a LOT, like 20-45 mins a bag. There are a lot of methods to use, do a search for "rinsing flourite" and you'll find a wealth of info on that topic. Some people say you can get the least amount of cloudy water by drying the substrate out completely for a day or more before adding it, but I've never tried that.

Even with a lot of rinsing, it will still cloud up your tank when you move stuff around, so plant it before adding water (learned that the hard way) and add water realllllllly slowly onto a plate as to not disturb the substrate too much. Try adding a polishing pad and carbon pad to your filter too, it will help clear up the cloud much faster. (you will have a cloud no matter how slowly you add the water and how much you rinse it)

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Definitely rinse it well. I used a paint strainer in a 5 gal bucket for my other substrate, though that was the suggested method for rinsing flourite on rexgrigg.com
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
How bout the new Fluorite Black Sand? How do you rinse that? And btw, watched a aquacsape demo this weekend. Gave me a GREAT idea, use the empty bag instead of a plate to add water on-top of your plants when filling. Worked WONDERFUL!! Thanks GWAPA crew. Great demo!
________
Live sex

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 01:14 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:17 AM

I used the empty bags AND a plate.... once the water gets high the bags will float and then be of no use keeping the dust down.

I have pics of this in the thread for my 55 gal journal:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...-new-pics.html
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Planted Member

I agree, rinse regular Flourite well. On a related note, I recently used some of the new Flourite Dark, and it was much less messy. A quick rinse in a bucket is all it took. Your mileage may vary.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcheaprice View Post
Definitely rinse it well. I used a paint strainer in a 5 gal bucket for my other substrate, though that was the suggested method for rinsing flourite on rexgrigg.com
I've used Rex's paint strainer method for rinsing the last 8 bag of flourite I had, wish I had it for the first 4. Just remember be gentle, the rougher you are, the more dust you will make.
As for the plastic bag, I never did it, but hear good things. If floating ia a problem, put a rock or a plate on it to keep it down, and the slower you fill, the less dusy will get churned up.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I was always told not to rinse the florite. Is there something I am missing? I thought you wanted all the nutrients in the mix. not just to wash them away.

Curt
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thats what i thought too curt but i guess not...

G-mont all the way!

55 gal planted, 10 gallon electric yellow cichlid fry tank (gone), 18 gal electric yellow cichlid mouth brooder holding tank (gone), and soon to be a 55 gallon pimpin discus tank (workin on it)!

my journal link:

92% of teens have switched to rap music- if your part of the other 8%, add this to you're signature!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
You want to get rid of the dust, but IME if you do the 5 gallon paint strainer, you can keep the fine particles.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 06:41 AM

There was some fancy Flourite that said it had beneficial bacteria cultures in it. Any thoughts or experiences?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindingVines View Post
There was some fancy Flourite that said it had beneficial bacteria cultures in it. Any thoughts or experiences?
You are thinking of eco-complete. It doesn't need to be rinsed, but I have some doubt as to their claim of live benificial bacteria being in the bag.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Again, what about Fluorite Black Sand? Anyone have experience with it? And how do you rinse sand effectively if it needs to be rinsed?
________
Og kush seeds

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 01:16 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:51 AM

Hi,
I rinsute by putting the substrate into a 5-6 gallon bucket ( about half full), then push a hose into the substrate. With the water on high
all the dust and durt floats out. I user this on play sand but you do loose quite a bit of sand. Play sand was cheep and what uas left was great.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode