Questions on Overflows, cleaning, and more. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Questions on Overflows, cleaning, and more.

Well, I purchased a new aquarium today, but it needs fully cleaned, etc...

It's a 125 Gallon that was previously saltwater. Now, before anyone goes on about moving from salt to fresh (may or may not happen) I have fully migrated a 125 Gallon that was salt to use as fresh before. The difference is that it was better cleaned than this one and didn't have overflows.

This tank is setup with 2 overflows (one in each corner) along with a hole drilled in the back for a closed loop system.

What I am trying to decide is a few things:

1.) The overflows need cleaned. I'm not sure if my best bet would be to remove the overflows completely then reattach them with Aquarium Silicone or what.

2.) To start with I will only be running a Ehiem 2026 on this tank. Should I pipe it into the overflows or should I just seal them? And if I should pipe it, how should I do so?

3.) The best way to get as much of the salt build up off the tank as possible? The previous 125 I had (which was salt before I purchased it) had been better cleaned than this one.

I will post pictures later after I get it in the house.

125 Gallon AGA w/ Overflows
Filtration: Ehiem 2026 Filter, Dual "Ghetto" Overflow Internal Filters
Lighting: 1x96W Current USA CF - 2x96W Generic CF
Co2: Pressurized Co2 - Rex Grigg Regulator, SMS 122, and Rex Grigg Reactor.
Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well, I ave an idea on the Overflows and would like some opinions.

What I am thinking is to put a submersible pump on the bottom (capping the drill holes) and running PVC up and over the edge of the overflow and back into the tank.

I would then add Filter media (oposite of the way I would place it in a canister, I.E. Coarse media on top) to the overflow.

In this way I believe I would be turning both overflows into secondary filters.

I could also potentially use 2 small submersible pumps and route the intake into the tank to avoid the potential of evaporation problems.

Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you're not going to use the overflows then I would remove them and use some bulkhead plugs (or whatever they're called) to plug the holes. If you plan to use them then I'd leave them in place and clean them in place. You really just need to clean the outside up. Nobody but you will see the inside.

As you noted, once the water level in the tank goes down below the overflow top, no water goes into the overflow. A pump in the overflow would pump all the water out once the water level dropped enough in the tank. A sump serves to keep the water level in the main tank full along with the other things.

An interesting idea might be to get rid of the overflows, but use the holes for canister filters. You could use two canister filters, one for each side. Use some PVC coming up from the holes into the tank for the intake/outlet. Just use some barb fittings underneath to attach to the hoses from the filter.

David

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I would plumb canister filters into the holes also.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well, I did decide to give this a try as I hadn't had any feedback before I purchased the pumps.

Right now spending $180.00 on another canister would get me killed and I'm not sure a 2026 is big enough in and of itself to do the job.

So, I am placing a ViaAqua 1300 Pump in either end to use as a sort of "Make Shift" canister.

I do intend to add a sump once I have had the time to stabilize the tank and read up more on sumps, which is why I don't want to remove the overflows entirely.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode