Gravel Vaccing (new) water into a tank after a water change? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gravel Vaccing (new) water into a tank after a water change?

Hey,
I've had my tank up for a few months and have just been using a small container(~1.5g) to put water in the tank after a water change. I gravel vac water out but i've never tried to vac water from a 5gal bucket into the tank.
Does this work? If so, how? (Doesn't the bucket need to be higher than the tank? What if the tank if taller than the bucket?)
I have a 6gal now, thinking about getting a 20 or 30gal soon.

A couple off-topic questions;
Do you add Dechlorinator(sp) before the water change/after gravel vac but before adding new water/after adding new water?

Do you add nutrients before the water change/after gravel vac but before adding new water/after adding new water?

I'm using FloraPride made by TetraPlant weekly for nutrients, is this enough to keep the plants alive? (Not taking a serious attempt at a planted tank atm, I just want to keep the plants alive; they're floating on the surface for light)

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Gravity will pretty much force you to either use a pump to move water up into the tank, or use a Python like gravel vac that can hook up to a sink.
I use an eheim hobby pump for 5 gallon water changes in my 14 gallon biocube.

BTW, if you ad anything Decholr/ferts/etc... before a water change, you will be removing them from the aquarium.
I add decholr as I start adding water fromthe sink via python.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How much does a pump usually go for?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 01:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
try looking around here for an idea http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...umpspowerheads

Mike

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 01:59 AM
Algae Grower

Don't worry about the pump just use a plastic tube and siphon it. When you put the new water back in raise the bucket just above the tanks water level- once you start it it'll continue to flow "downhill". Add the dechlorinator to the new water before adding it to the tank. As for adding the nutrients as long as you do it after gravel vac it doesn't really matter.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:33 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by realburnsie View Post
Don't worry about the pump just use a plastic tube and siphon it. When you put the new water back in raise the bucket just above the tanks water level- once you start it it'll continue to flow "downhill". Add the dechlorinator to the new water before adding it to the tank. As for adding the nutrients as long as you do it after gravel vac it doesn't really matter.
I agree. My tanks are near my table so I just put a chair on the table, put the bucket on the chair and fill (and add dechlor). Once I'm done siphoning the old water out with my python, I use another hose to siphon the "new" water back into the tank.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, Thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 05:17 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
You may want to invest in a Python No-Spill. It will make you're life easier.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode