Adding *small booster* inline pump to Cannister filter line - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Adding *small booster* inline pump to Cannister filter line

I know this has been discussed recently, here but didn't have the answer I'm looking for:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...er-filter.html

I have UV and a Mazzei Venturi hooked up to my Fluval 305. It still flows "ok" but I think more flow would be better to keep the CO2 distributed and I think more flow is supposed to be able to help plants absorb CO2 somehow? Also, I've been thinking of doing an inline heater as well so this would enable that option.

Anyways, I'm looking to add a *SMALL* pump, like 150 gph (or maybe 296) is all. I would put it right after the cannister on the way back to the tank. And I would still just leave the Fluval cannister powered...it was originally supposed to be rates at like 290gph, I think its down to 150?? gph on my 55g, which I don't think is horrible and still works, but I think more flow would be better. So, since I'm adding just a SMALL pump, don't you think I wouldn't need to worry about a checkvalve and turning off the cannister, this is more of a booster pump to augment the flow...but, in the case that the booster pump failed the cannister filter could still keep on pumping as it is already.

Here's the two pumps I'm considering
Eheim 1048 (158gph max) $60, I think would work w/ the barbs it has already I have already swapped out the ribbed fluval hosing for vinyl tubing.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/211222/product.web
or
Quiet One 1200 (296gph) $20, would need to get threaded to barb fittings
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...49&pcatid=9849

NOTE: To do a *SEARCH* and get the answer you want, its often best to go to "Advanced Search" and search in the title only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
First off I would hazard a guess that the actual output of your filter with media is much closer to 150 gph than anything else.

Second thing is that your plan is pretty much doomed to failure by any number of mechanical and hydraulic problems.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmmm, it doesn't seem that complicated of a plan...if the cannister filter is working already, I'm just going to add in another 158gph "booster", I don't think this would really add too much "pull" on the cannister if I put it inline after the cannister...and if it did fail, who cares, the cannister would still be working? Are you saying that my booster pump would ruin the cannister somehow? You might say the opposite, that it would reduce its load and enable it to last longer (the cannister magnetic impeller/pump) and really I would just be getting the gph back to where its supposed to be according to the Fluval advertisement for its product (29xgph).

NOTE: To do a *SEARCH* and get the answer you want, its often best to go to "Advanced Search" and search in the title only.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

or have you tried such things before and in your experience it just doesn't work?

If I was talking about adding a mega-pump like 600-900gph or etc I could see maybe would cause problems and so would need to unplug the cannister pump like it seems some other folks have done before...

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 03:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
This was discussed here too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 03:37 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I haven't tried that myself, but I would guess that adding a "booster" pump with less than the actual output of your canister filter will do nothing but slow down things. If your canister filter output is say 200gal/hr and you add a 150gal/hour little pump you will get less output, because a) those little pumps don't have the oomph to speed up a canister filter, and b) because anything you add inline will cause a flow reduction. Best case, it will do nothing.

You could try the QuietOne pump, it might do what you are trying to do. Or it might leak, make noise, and heat up your tank.

A much better solution would be to add a little 150gal/hour pump directly in the tank, or buy a second canister filter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 03:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Wasserpest...what about adding it to the input line so that it will push water t the can? Possible you think?

The Junkie
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm personally thinking this will not be a good idea/work. Putting a pump on the outflow in my opinion would actually add stress to the canister because I would think the canisters pump would be fighting to keep up with the additional output pump you have added. Like in my mind I see the second pump sucking the water out of the canister faster and damaging the actual canister pump.. then on the other hand putting one on the intake side I only see problems as well as you would really be sucking the water out of the aquarium faster and then the canister pump not working with that as well.

These make sense in my mind and may be completely wrong but I just see the two pumps "fighting" with each other and the whole thing not working out... plus I personally wouldn't risk wrecking a nice canister.

Now if you really want to add some more inline peripherals I would just run a pump that is hooked up to just those peripherals. Sure you will have more tubes in your tank but I see that as a more feasible way of things working out. This is one of the reasons my new tank is going with a sump setup. Everything will be out of the way and it is quite easy to change things if need be!

Well good luck with whatever you do and if you do try something let us know because we would love to hear and learn!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Yup just get another can...

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by y84k View Post
I'm personally thinking this will not be a good idea/work. Putting a pump on the outflow in my opinion would actually add stress to the canister because I would think the canisters pump would be fighting to keep up with the additional output pump you have added. Like in my mind I see the second pump sucking the water out of the canister faster and damaging the actual canister pump.. then on the other hand putting one on the intake side I only see problems as well as you would really be sucking the water out of the aquarium faster and then the canister pump not working with that as well.

These make sense in my mind and may be completely wrong but I just see the two pumps "fighting" with each other and the whole thing not working out... plus I personally wouldn't risk wrecking a nice canister.

Now if you really want to add some more inline peripherals I would just run a pump that is hooked up to just those peripherals. Sure you will have more tubes in your tank but I see that as a more feasible way of things working out. This is one of the reasons my new tank is going with a sump setup. Everything will be out of the way and it is quite easy to change things if need be!

Well good luck with whatever you do and if you do try something let us know because we would love to hear and learn!
I think this would not be a problem. Unplug the canister power, remove the impeler, install the pump, turn the pump on while the canister motor is unplugged and there you go. You have just bypassed stressing the motor and impeler that comes stock with the canister. The only thing I would worry about is how much pressure the seels can take on the canister. One thing you might want to figure out is how much flow the diameter of the tubing can handle before you start to see back pressure. If someone can figure that out for you then you would probably want to undershoot the maximum flow the diameter of the tube can handle. Forget about boostering, think about running the inline on its own with the canister motor unplugged, I think this is the direction you want to be headed.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by y84k View Post
+1.

Move everything over to a dedicated pump for your UV, heater, venturi...etc, and leave the canister just by itself.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzilla View Post
I think this would not be a problem. Unplug the canister power, remove the impeler, install the pump, turn the pump on while the canister motor is unplugged and there you go. You have just bypassed stressing the motor and impeler that comes stock with the canister. The only thing I would worry about is how much pressure the seels can take on the canister. One thing you might want to figure out is how much flow the diameter of the tubing can handle before you start to see back pressure. If someone can figure that out for you then you would probably want to undershoot the maximum flow the diameter of the tube can handle. Forget about boostering, think about running the inline on its own with the canister motor unplugged, I think this is the direction you want to be headed.
well yeah that would make more sense.. but I was just going off what he said and he wanted to add a little boost to what I assumed was a running canister.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm, good advice/input so far!

A few thoughts:

1. I guess I assumed, and let me struggle w/ my english here, that adding the booster pump would "move" the water thru the line better, and that the water would be "in motion" already when it was hitting/or/leaving the existing cannister pump. And that since the cannister pump was SUPPOSED to be ALREADY operating at 296gph, and it couldn't muster more than 100(?)gph w/ the limits on it now, that boostering up 150gph wouldn't really push the cannister pump faster than it was designed to be going anyways. But, I'm not engineer...

2. Well, why worry about ruining the cannister pump if my other option is to just get a better pump in there anyways and unplug the cannister? (I'm seeing the point of sumps more and more...)

3. I guess I'll have to consider adding another stronger pump and unplugging the cannister, but it looks like then I'm looking at $150(??) for a decent pump, does anyone know of any good ones that are "adjustable" that seems easier than figuring out the specs I need...is it true the inline pumps add "heat" to the water, making the summer months difficult to deal with?

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbot View Post
Hmm, good advice/input so far!

A few thoughts:

1. I guess I assumed, and let me struggle w/ my english here, that adding the booster pump would "move" the water thru the line better, and that the water would be "in motion" already when it was hitting/or/leaving the existing cannister pump. And that since the cannister pump was SUPPOSED to be ALREADY operating at 296gph, and it couldn't muster more than 100(?)gph w/ the limits on it now, that boostering up 150gph wouldn't really push the cannister pump faster than it was designed to be going anyways. But, I'm not engineer...

2. Well, why worry about ruining the cannister pump if my other option is to just get a better pump in there anyways and unplug the cannister? (I'm seeing the point of sumps more and more...)

3. I guess I'll have to consider adding another stronger pump and unplugging the cannister, but it looks like then I'm looking at $150(??) for a decent pump, does anyone know of any good ones that are "adjustable" that seems easier than figuring out the specs I need...is it true the inline pumps add "heat" to the water, making the summer months difficult to deal with?

Run the canister by itself. Run the pump with all your equipment in-line. That'll be your best bet in the long run.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Run the canister by itself. Run the pump with all your equipment in-line. That'll be your best bet in the long run.
Awww man...I've done all these inline things (venturi, UV, possibly heater) so that I don't have a bunch of JUNK in my tank...I really don't want to have more tubes coming in and out junking up the aesthetics...Can I put "V"s or "T"s and split the tubing outside of the tank *if* I go this route?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode