Multiple Aquarium bookshelf - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Multiple Aquarium bookshelf

Sooooo I have the bug pretty bad, and now i am living in a small studio apartment so I cant really parade all of my tanks around the place like i would want so what i am thinking is to make a "rack" that is also pretty, (reads as not an industrial rack).

I am thinking of something like this.

It needs to be able to support a 29g, 2x 10g and a 12g

any pointers are well taken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Planted Member

If you want something like that to support all of that weight, it probably needs to have the shelves going into dado. This means that the shelves are held with joinery and not pegs or similar. You can purchase something like this from most furniture makers but expect it to cost more than $500(probably a good bit more). I would not trust anything purchases from a box store to hold up 150+lbs per shelf.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
You do realize that you are talking about 500+ pounds, right? Also, do you appreciate how much water damage 60 gallons would do?

My tank journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This type will take some extra thought and careful planning. It will likely have to be a custom build as well. Normal shelving is just not designed for the weight. But that does not mean it can't be done.
One big item is the weight making each shelf bow down. That can be solve by securing the shelf really solidly at each end and making it either thick enough not to bow (Like 2X) or by adding a board at the shelf front . Placed on edge a board is much stronger than when flat. Making an "L" shape it is then somewhat like angle iron and far less prone to bow.
A second way is to fasten each shelf really well at the ends to a cleat fastened to the side uprights. This keeps the shelf from bowing but also requires the sides to be strong also.
This will put it over into the custom realm. Not cheap but also not impossible.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab_Man View Post
You do realize that you are talking about 500+ pounds, right? Also, do you appreciate how much water damage 60 gallons would do?
I do, but i have also seen this done before I just dont have any experience with it so I asked, I figured it would have to be a DIY thing and i am quite handy and have access to a wood shop, so if i do go thrugh with this I asume Ill build it over spring break.

So if anyone has built one before please share your tips.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My avatar is a custom build that I myself built. I built it to withstand a 90 gallon tank. It is 2x6 braced with solid oak casing. You can see it better in my journal in my link.

My tank journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Algae Grower

If you are planning on going the custom route, your price will really matter based on the type of wood.

One issue I forsee you running into is with the variety of aquariums you have. Assuming you have a Mr Aqua 12 gallon that puts you at a minimum of 36" long, while the 29 gallon is 12" deep and 18" tall.

If you aren't opposed to switching up aquariums, the Mr Aqua's are great for stacking

Here is a picture of the stand with my 2 Mr Aqua 12 gallon longs

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi125 View Post
I do, but i have also seen this done before I just dont have any experience with it so I asked, I figured it would have to be a DIY thing and i am quite handy and have access to a wood shop, so if i do go thrugh with this I asume Ill build it over spring break.

So if anyone has built one before please share your tips.
With this in mind it makes it much more workable. But it does still take some thought about how wood holds a load. If we were talking about a ready-built shelf there would be several items to beef up. The sides will easily hold the weight, IF they are strong to avoid bowing. Single layer 1X lumber will do for this. Also 3/4 plywood is plenty strong for the upright parts. Even thin wood is really hard to crush vertically if it is not allowed to bow out. Then it is a fairly simple matter to make sure the ends and front/back edges of the shelves are glued and attached to the back and sides firmly. The shelves and bracing all come together to prevent the racking hazard.
After the strength issue is resolved, the rest of the planning for appearance is pretty much open to what you might like.
Something simple like this:

Last edited by PlantedRich; 01-24-2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: addpics
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If it were just 10 gallons, you could simply get a couple 2x12s and build a bookshelf using dados to support the shelves.

It's a bit harder with the 29 (and I have no clue on the dimensions of the 12).

Might be able to do it with a fairly simple plywood and 2x4 build, plywood for the uprights, notched to support 2x4s across the front and back as shelf supports, and then set plywood on them. May be difficult to cut accurately.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsunissan28 View Post
If you are planning on going the custom route, your price will really matter based on the type of wood.

One issue I forsee you running into is with the variety of aquariums you have. Assuming you have a Mr Aqua 12 gallon that puts you at a minimum of 36" long, while the 29 gallon is 12" deep and 18" tall.

If you aren't opposed to switching up aquariums, the Mr Aqua's are great for stacking

Here is a picture of the stand with my 2 Mr Aqua 12 gallon longs

This actually looks amazing. The tanks I have are relatively cheap, so yes, I might end up trading out tanks for tanks that better fit.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi125 View Post
This actually looks amazing. The tanks I have are relatively cheap, so yes, I might end up trading out tanks for tanks that better fit.
Thanks take a look at my thread in the Tank Journals and I have the plans all sketched up in there.

It will look a lot better once I change over to the Finnex Planted LEDs. It really is much easier working with a consistant length and width. I was dealing with sloped ceilings that come down to around 50" tall. If not I would have gone with a stacked setup like a bookshelf. A big thing to keep in mind is how you are going to run all your filter plumbing and electrical.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

erghh I unsure on this idea! I don't think you would be able to get enough support to make sure it doesn't break until the inevitable happens...
Good luck...

FISHY

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode