Water lettuce dying in terrarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water lettuce dying in terrarium

My husband is in the process of setting up a terrarium that will later also house frogs. It's a 29g tank that has half land and half water. There's probably not more than a couple gallons of water in there, about 4" deep.

Last week he added a couple of water lettuce to the tank. Within 24 hours a good portion of the roots had dropped off. I suggested that they might not be getting any nutrients, so he put a little bit of Flourish in there. He has since dosed once more with Flourish, but the water lettuce is all but dead now.

We were under the impression that water lettuce is not hard to grow and usually spreads like crazy. Why isn't it surviving in his terrarium? If we go out and buy more, will it suffer the same fate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 03:55 AM

water lettuce needs lots of light, much more than shines on the average terrarium.

however, low light wouldn't cause such a rapid decline. that sounds more like shock the plants experienced in shipping.

unless you use really bright lamps, i would try other species of floating/marginal plants in there.

-D
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm...we bought them at Home Depot, which is about 2 blocks from our house. They were in a plastic bag with a little water for about 10 minutes before being put in the terrarium.

I will try to see how much light he has in there. I know he's using a reptile fixture with three different bulbs in it, but I'm not sure how much light he's getting.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...amily&keepsr=1

This is the light that's on the terrarium. It's got a flora-glo bulb in the flourescent slot, a compact flourescent bulb in one of the incandescent spots (the curly kind that you use in regular light fixtures at home), and a night time blue light thing in the other incandescent spot. Not sure of the overall wattage. The compact flourescent is on 12 hours a day and the flora-glo comes on for 4 hours in the middle of the day.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode