upgrade from 75 to 90? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
upgrade from 75 to 90?

I have the opportunity to upgrade my 75 to a 90. It's the exact same foot print just taller.

I have my 75 near a corner in the room and would locate 90 in the same corner but on the other wall so I wouldn't have to tear the 75 down completely to make room for the 90.

My question is do you think it would be a huge hassle to gain the 15 gallons? Also, since I would use all the same equipment, gravel, plants, water, etc.... Would I have to wait to put all my fish back in??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have a 75gal and I'd say its not worth the hassle. If you were gaining length or width then I'd say go for it, but not for a little extra height.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mr. Aqua 12 gal Long
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Ditto that. The only exception I could see would be if you plan on having a school of mature Angels or some such in there. You know, something that's quite tall itself from top to bottom. Then it might be worth it.

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was kind of thinking the same thing but since it wasn't going to cost me anything for the 90 I figured I would see what you guys thought.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll cast a vote the other way. I love tall tanks and would never again get anything less than 24 inches. In addition to height, you're also gaining additional water volume which makes for a more stable system. If you had to go out and buy a 90, then I'd say no, but if it's free, go for it.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to daveenedy
go with the 90. More water = happier fish!

or just do both!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
do NOT upgrade.

more height will make it harder for light to penetrate to your plants,
taller growing stem plants will cast more shadows on your foreground,
so it's just a lot of work for nothing.

most fish really won't benefit much at all.
the only exception I'd make would be for
very vertical body fish like discus or angelfish.

it's just silly to disrupt your ecosystem for that.
your fish and plants will only suffer from
yet another Month of "new tank syndrome".

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I like my 90g and personally, I'm glad I didn't get something less than 24" tall. A 75g is 20" tall, but you'd be surprised about how different it looks. As for the light, you really aren't looking at that big of a difference as far as penetrating to the substrate level. I seem to remember reading something a while back about tall tanks not making much of a difference in light penetration until the tank is 28" tall or so.

New tank syndrome likely wouldn't apply as much as a brand new tank, as I assume you'd be reusing all of your existing substrate and equipment.

The height will allow you to put taller plants and/or taller pieces of wood or rocks, further enhancing your ability to create a nice environment for the fish. If you decide to get angelfish or discus down the road, you'll already have a tank suitable in size and height for them...

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Algae Grower

I love my tall tank, be it as it is only 65 gal. but it's a nice tank, i opted for a tall tank compared to a long tank, just because i liked the way it looked.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Planted Member

I just went from 75 to 90 because my 75 was pretty beatup.

The 90 is just 4 inches taller but I looks way bigger.

I was even considering a 110 gal. which also has the same footprint.

If it is free go for it.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
24" tall is perfect for monster amazon swords.

The only thing I don't like about having a 24" tall tank is that I'm very short (5'1") so my arms don't reach to the bottom without soaking me pretty good. I have to have my husband help me remove the canopy. Then I drain 10-20 gallons of water. THEN I can reach anywhere in the tank, but I still usually soak my shirt. I have 1.87wpg and have no issues.

~Amanda~

54g Corner Bowfront Planted, 2x24w T5HO
220g Mixed Reef
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by forddna View Post
". . . but I still usually soak my shirt. "
Tank top. No pun intended (5'4" here.) I always throw one on when I'm doing "tank maintenance."

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:54 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
If it was a new tank and a preference of between an 75 or 90, then go with a 90. Bigger is always better.

BUT since you're considering an upgrade, I agree, don't upgrade. Not much difference, except for the height. If you have fish that prefer height, like discus, angels, etc. then maybe. Eventually, you may want to go even bigger (120 or more), so I would rather wait until you do so.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
This is a great post that Im reading. I just ordered a 90 gal for myself to up grade from a 55 gal. Im really looking forward to getting it and all the fun of moving things over to it. For me its a really huge change.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke View Post
Tank top. No pun intended (5'4" here.) I always throw one on when I'm doing "tank maintenance."
I still soak my shirt. I can't unbolt my boobs.

~Amanda~

54g Corner Bowfront Planted, 2x24w T5HO
220g Mixed Reef

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode