Wanting help with Eheim 2227 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wanting help with Eheim 2227

Hello from Australia.
We have just been given an Eheim 2227 canister to be placed in our 4 foot tank, that currently houses 4 discus. We have just begun our journey into planted tanks and at 4 weeks in, all is good. WE have only a small internal aquaone filter and obviously the 2227 is better. We were told that the 2227 isn't any good for plants. Currently using diy co2 with red sea co2 system.
Thanks in anticipation for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
My Google search told me a 2227 is a Wet/Dry filter? If this is the case, they aren't ideal for plants, although there are several tanks here running wet/dry systems. The big issue w/ wet/dry filters and plants is the out gassing that occurs with the free falling of water entering these filters. I've read here (no personal experience) that the secret to using a wet/dry system is to fill the sump / configure plumbing so the water has a very limited fall from the end of the tubing and to seal the top of the sump with tape or something like that to keep the CO2 in the box as much as possible.

HTH. I'm sure someone with actual personal experience with a wet/dry system and plants with chime in.
________
SophiaShine cam

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 01:13 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Like Tdon1md said the 2217 will outgass your co2 but even though that desisn is not Co2 friendly it will still work well if you have a pressurized Co2 setup and good diffusion method. I am one of those that use a big 36"x12"x14" open sump with no special plumbing and able to maintain Co2 just fine for some of the most difficult to keep, light hungry, co2 must plants in the hobby.

The only big downside I see is you trying to use DIY Co2 in a 90gal tank Even though it's possible with 'about 10 2L bottles and constant 1Ĺ week DIY mix refreshing, I know cause I done it' it is going to require toooo much work to maintain proper levels. DIY IMO opinion should not be attempted for anything over 30gal and at this size its very easy to maintain Co2 provided diffusion method is good. Over that it gets too expensive & requires too much work to maintain proper levels.

My suggestion to you is to leave the filter as is, invest in a DC 'drop checker' and a pressurized Co2 setup if you are looking for success with growing plants and not algae.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Damn, can't believe I missed the DIY CO2 on a 90. Good catch Mrkookm. What he said!!!!!!!
________
Find Headshop

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 01:13 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
yeah with the tank that size you will need pressurized CO2. but that's also depending on what kind of plants you'll use.

oh btw, welcome trishp... (first post)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode