Rosy Red Minnow Eggs with Livebearer Fry - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Rosy Red Minnow Eggs with Livebearer Fry

I'm breeding rosy reds and would like to have as many grow to maturity as possible. So I'm wondering if it would work to take the caves with eggs out of my rosy tank and put them in a 10 gallon livebearer fry tank where they would live until they're big enough to put in my soon to be pond. The fish in there would never be over half an inch and usually under a quarter inch and the fish giving birth would be in a breeding thing so they'd never be free to eat all the fish.
So would the fry eat the eggs or do anything that would jeopordize them?

Also I'm thinking of breeding Red Cherry Shrimp would they do well in a 20 gallon rosy breeding tank if the rosys were kept well fed or should they go in my fry tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
It might be easier to rear the eggs in their own tank because maintenance would be easier for you. However, I don't know much about raising them. Also, the livebearer fry might eat the eggs, but I'm just guessing.

Same for the shrimps. They should have their own tank. makes breeding much easier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuhuman View Post
It might be easier to rear the eggs in their own tank because maintenance would be easier for you. However, I don't know much about raising them. Also, the livebearer fry might eat the eggs, but I'm just guessing.
I would if I could but my parents set the limit at three tanks so the only other thing I could do is stick them in a 5 gallon bucket with no filtration until they hatch. Would that be better?

or could i take the eggs off the caves and put them in my breeding trap? its the plasitc kind petco carries that has four compartments

If i took the eggs off the caves would it damage them?

Or would they get moldy in the 5 gallon bucket? Help plz

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-24-2014 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Back to back posts

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't take any chances. Get some anti-fungal medicine and place in what ever you decide to house them in.

Also you need some aeration. And don't remove the eggs, remove what they are attached to.

I've got some eggs in a 10 gallon with a sponge filter. I plan on going out and getting some supplies tomorrow myself! I can't wait. These are my first fry.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
hmmm. In that case, maybe you can buy a breeder box and put the eggs in it. The box can protect the eggs from the other fishes and you won't need another container. The boxes are fairly cheap too. check them out on amazon or something.

Also, I hope you did your research on rearing rosy red minnows. There is a bunch of info you can find just by googling it

EDIT: ops forgot to mention... whatever container you put the eggs in, you still need filtration, aeration, and some kind of anti-fungus medicine as bluebugs mentioned. You may also need a heater to keep the temperature stable. I have very limited experience and knowledge with hatching and rearing fishes, so I recommend you do your research.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Planted Member

I woke up this morning (after moving my driftwood to its own tank) to find it crawling with snails! I had to knock them off and I put the dad in there to protect them. Be careful!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuhuman View Post
hmmm. In that case, maybe you can buy a breeder box and put the eggs in it. The box can protect the eggs from the other fishes and you won't need another container.
Thats what I was thinking but to do that i'd need to take the eggs off of what they're laid on so that wouldn't work
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:02 AM

Where did you get your rosy reds? I haven't been able to find them in Washington :/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c221 View Post
Where did you get your rosy reds? I haven't been able to find them in Washington :/
Petco, they are sold as feeder fish.
Nice fish for coldwater tank, and perfect tank mate for goldfish.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Petco, they are sold as feeder fish.
Nice fish for coldwater tank, and perfect tank mate for goldfish.
Thanks. That was what I was hoping to get them for. I've checked a few Petcos and Petsmarts but couldn't find any

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode