Preparing now for later..... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Preparing now for later.....

Hello everyone!
My father is getting into FW tanks and I have offered to help him. I'm an accomplished SW reefer myself so I know the smartest thing to do is to come to a forum and get advice. While I know my stuff when it comes to reefs, not everything translates to FW planted so I have some questions for you all if you don't mind

Setup:
Standard 75g tank
Eheim Ultra g160
hydor 300w inline heater
local tap is low KH and measures 6.8 PH

Our intent is to create a discus tank over time with a low to medium plant assortment.

The plan is to get the tank up and running and stabilized, add tetras and some corys and keep it there. In order to do that, we need to figure out where to buy good driftwood and what to use as a substrate. I've read sand, and flourite and knowing that we are going to have plants eventually, is it best to add the flourite now?

There was also the thought of adding sand and keeping the plants in flourite pots - thoughts?

Depending on the plants we have, we are going to hold off on the permanent light just yet.....currently using a standard flourescent.

Also interested to know if you have a good place to buy slate to make a nice scape.

The tank is dry now so we are getting everything prepared now and will cycle with Dr. Tim's O&O.

Thanks
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you are going to put the plants in pots, you may as well put some dirt in there. All flourite has is CEC (cation exchange capacity), and some nice colors. You can also get (better) CEC from stuff like safeTsorb and turface, and they are a lot less expensive.

Any of those are inert, and can be put in the tank right at startup, they won't affect the water quality (well, I've heard safeTsorb and Turface can strip gH and such for the first couple months, but I don't have personal experience...)

As to buying slate, go to a landscaping supply place - you'll get it for pennies on the dollar compared to what's available in a fish store. Bigger selection as well.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! Ill direct him to get some cheap slate. He mentioned something about going out and picking it himself, any issues with that?

Since he wants to move to discus over time, anything he can do now in the setup to be prepared? He wants a few plants and some driftwood.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
you need to checkout simply discus forum. planted tanks and discus are different monsters, in this case 1+1=3. doing both is harder than the sum.

at the least you need to realize that substrate color and, too some extent, background color drastically effects the color and appearance of discus.

20L My Other Tank: OEBT Shrimp
40B Inlaws Tank: 2 goldfish
75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks . I've been reading a bit and think he is going to go with rock and driftwood and maybe 1-3 plants just for accents. Not sure he is ready for the plants and discus just yet!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 12:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can't go wrong with Manzanita.com for driftwood. Get the package deal and you can tell the guy (rich) what you intend to do and he'll send you the right pieces. I ordered from him several times and very cheap.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode