Advice on shrimp or bottom feeding fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Advice on shrimp or bottom feeding fish

I am looking for something that is going to keep the gravel clean. when I do water changes I try to do cleaning before I take the water out, but the diatoms are a little harder to remove from the gravel. Clings on pretty well. Anyways I just started seeing a minute amount of green on some of the gravel and was wanting something that would keep the gravel and rocks clean. Also got diatoms on the leaves of my crypts and kind of a pain in the *** to get it off.

I was really wanting to get some cherry shrimp but I would imagine my white clouds would pick them off and also I don't have the money for cherry shrimp. I was also thinking Amano shrimp but haven't been able to find them locally.

Ghost/glass shrimp are relatively cheap but haven't quite decided if this would be the way to go. If I do, how many should I get for a 10 gallon or is there any recommendations on fish that would do some clean up that would stay in a 10 gallon. I will eventually get a school of either pygmy cories or the salt and pepper cories, but that will be later on.

Tank aspects:
10 Gallon
2x 13watt CFL 6500K
Substrate Miracle Grow Capped with gravel
Water is relatively hard (don't know GH but have been told by LFS that water in this area is hard)
pH is around 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm-20ppm but usually around 10ppm
No CO2
No ferts

Plants include:
Ludwigia repens
Lace Leaf Water sprite
Java Ferns
Anubias sp.
Cryptocoryne walkerii 'Lutea'
Marsilea crenata
Staurogyne repens

Fish: 5x golden white clouds
Pond snails but their number is going down (been watching on how much I feed my fish)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode