My new 90 gallon, questions & photos! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My new 90 gallon, questions & photos!

I am a relative newbie to aquariums. (just started my first planted tank with already the expected newbie mistakes lol) I had some goldfish who lived to be in their teens but my experience with fish doesn't go farther than that haha. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on though!
I got this 90 gallon bowfront for a screaming deal. I was wondering if you guys could tell me about some of the equipment it came with. If it's any good and if I should consider replacing any of it. The tank itself is in great shape, but I am going to refinish the stand this summer to match my home a little better.
Second question, will it be really difficult to successfully keep plants in this tank? I read somewhere that its harder to keep live plants in large deep tanks like this one.
Third question, the seller of this tank gave me the cannister filter that came with it with cycled media in it. I assumed that the filter needs to be running to keep the bacteria alive so I filled the tank and got the thing running with some trial and error. I left the tank bare as I don't have any gravel or anything yet. What else, if anything, do I need to do to keep the bacteria alive until I'm ready for fish?
Fourth question! I live in a northern Canada down with pretty limited selection when it comes to fish supplies. What kind of substrate should I use? I can't find substrates specifically made for plants anywhere around here and sand is also really hard to find. Would gravel be ok? Are there pros and cons? I prefer the look of sand, but so far its been challenging to find.
Fifth question, the light fixture only came with one bulb, and the fixture won't work without two, what kind of bulb do I need to buy? Any specific model, brand or type?
Sixth question, this is my first cannister filter EVER. Where can I buy filter media for this thing and more importantly, what kind do I get? We have a Petland store and a Total Pet here, but I can order online if I have to.
I think that's it, feel free to bombard me with any other information you think is important.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
"but I am going to refinish the stand this summer to match my home a little better. "

You might not want to tear down the tank once you get it running if you start the build now.

If you do start running the now, you could run it as a fish only tank while you gather your build supplies and get comfortable with the hobby. If you do go that way, you'll need a food source for the bacteria culture in you canister filter. The simplest thing would be a fish. With 90 ga to work with and some self control e. only put one fish in. to cycle and revitalize the biofilter.

You could then leave the tank bare until summer when you'll want to refinish the tank. Now, take the time to research/read this site's old threads. Start to develop a plan on what will work well in that tank within your budget.

If I were in that situation, I would slowly collect my fish and let them grow out in the tank for the mean time. Them after I refinish the stand would build my aquascape.

Read the Substrate, Lighting, and Plant sub-forums. Look at plants that tend to grow tall. Don't fall in love with carpet plants they'll break you heart in a tank like this.

Great tank for Madagascar Lace, Jungle Val, Cryptocoryne Affinis, Echinodorus "Rubin" and so many other larger plants. Java fern can be grown on driftwood getting higher up in the tank to get more light.

The best tanks typically are a result of the best planning.

>The light tube should be in the 5500 to 6500K range. The "K" or Kelvin tells you what color the light emitted is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin

> The equipment Sub-forum will have threads about filter media, lot's of easy solutions using easily found media.

>if you are very far North in Canada, you should have access to pristine streams, you could collect sand and fine gravel in the spring. I have to think there are some sort of contraction supply were you could buy sand. Also, there is PFS as an option. Look for those topics on the Substrate sub forum.

Last edited by DogFish; 01-23-2014 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Link
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you! Great advice it gives me a good starting point, a lot of things I hadn't thought of. Lots to think about!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode