I could not believe this... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I could not believe this...

I know the Dollar per Gallon sale is almost over at Petco but I had to post this. Below is a email I have sent to Tetra with a picture of a tank I found at the sale.

"Good afternoon, I just wanted to write and express my deepest concerns with the quality of your recent aquariums. I have used Tetra Aquariums for years and had no issues with them. That is why when I heard the dollar per gallon sale at petco was going on I was excited to go pick up a 40G Breeder tank. I had heard some talk on the forums I visit about the tanks being poor quality but ignored them because a lot of the people on the forums are perfectionists and I was not looking for a show aquarium. I have also had several Tetra tanks and never had any problems with them.

I stopped by a Petco in Charlottesville Virginia and regretted wasting my time and ignoring my fellow aquarists on the forums.

I have attached a picture of what I found so that you can see why I had to write this letter to you. I can not say that every tank was this terrible, but a lot of them were. The 10 and 29 Gallons were the only sizes that looked like they would even hold water. I looked at the 20H, 20L and 40B and did not find a single one in these 3 sizes that I felt comfortable purchasing, even at the discounted price.

I hope that these quality issues are only temporary and that in the near future I can feel comfortable purchasing Tetra Brand products again.

Thank you."

I'll post any replies I get from the company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is shamful!!! Better off DIY!! Atleast you know it would hold water.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm glad to see someone else emailed them! They need to hear it. I was watching "How its Made" yesterday and they did a quick segment on fish tanks. The whole time I was watching the worker lay the glass and silicone so fast, I was thinking that Tetra needs more quality control. I don't know if its a simple matter of workers being overstressed and moving too quickly or what, but its a problem that consumers shouldn't have to deal with. That being said, I did end up supporting the company when I bought my dpg tanks.. so really I didn't help the situation any more than I added to it most likely.

The picture you have there is one of the most extreme cases I've seen so far.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KribsDirect View Post
I'm glad to see someone else emailed them! They need to hear it. I was watching "How its Made" yesterday and they did a quick segment on fish tanks. The whole time I was watching the worker lay the glass and silicone so fast, I was thinking that Tetra needs more quality control. I don't know if its a simple matter of workers being overstressed and moving too quickly or what, but its a problem that consumers shouldn't have to deal with. That being said, I did end up supporting the company when I bought my dpg tanks.. so really I didn't help the situation any more than I added to it most likely.

The picture you have there is one of the most extreme cases I've seen so far.
They are probably being paid on a "per tank" basis...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fraternity of Dirt member #140
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry, I'm kind of new to aquariums so the following is a serious question.
On the picture above, while I agree that the tank shouldn't look like that, is there any reason why this tank would be any weaker than a tank where the ends match perfectly? Or is it just that by having the tank un-even on a visible joint like that it points to a general lack of quality(if the visible portion is like that, imagine the parts that you can't see!) and perhaps translates to possible higher failure rate?

The reason why I'm asking is because I picked up a 20L at the sale and while the joint is not nearly as bad as the one pictured above, the front glass is definitely not 100% even with the side glass. Now I'm wondering if I should be concerned.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd write Petco as well. Tell them to go back to their previous supplier, or something with a little better quality. I think most folks wouldn't even care if this made it a $1.50/gallon sale, or whatever.

BTW, is that a secret decoder ring on your finger?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I don't know about else where, but here I cannot order glass form suppliers that would be less than the $ a gallon sale price, or even equal or remotely close..more like $10 a gallon. I bought a "55" gallon from tetra last year.. I put it in quotes because I measured it internally, and its only 48 gallons and that's filled to the brim, so its more like 45 (ignoring substrate/hardscape) where I have it filled to....The silicone job is horrible, but not as bad as that photo... its held up with water since October 2013.. But if I ever buy another tank from tetra it will purely be to cut and rip the silicone off and re-silicone myself (or most likely with my handy husband's help ^^), ad only during the $ a gallon sale, their poor quality is not worth it at the jacked up prices.

Its a shame everything seems to be made with no quality control now, same prices as when they were made in the US or by real professionals... but now just made of crap and don't last more than a few years if you're lucky...

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
Sorry, I'm kind of new to aquariums so the following is a serious question.
On the picture above, while I agree that the tank shouldn't look like that, is there any reason why this tank would be any weaker than a tank where the ends match perfectly? Or is it just that by having the tank un-even on a visible joint like that it points to a general lack of quality(if the visible portion is like that, imagine the parts that you can't see!) and perhaps translates to possible higher failure rate?

The reason why I'm asking is because I picked up a 20L at the sale and while the joint is not nearly as bad as the one pictured above, the front glass is definitely not 100% even with the side glass. Now I'm wondering if I should be concerned.
I think it is more of an aesthetic issue. If you want to be totally sure, check if the gap between the glass and the rim is filled with silicone (glue), and if not, squeeze some in there. I wouldn't be too concerned, especially with a shorter tank like a 20L.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I don't know about else where, but here I cannot order glass form suppliers that would be less than the $ a gallon sale price, or even equal or remotely close..more like $10 a gallon.
Yup, economy of scale, pretty crazy. I once bought a 55gal for $55 only to cut it into pieces and use the front and back panes to build a 2x 135gal plywood tank.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
BTW, is that a secret decoder ring on your finger?
Its a D20 dice ring. Its like the spinny rings but useful.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 12:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyD View Post
Its a D20 dice ring. Its like the spinny rings but useful.
Ah, I see.... that tank rolled a one.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks for the photo. I will interested to see if you get a reply. Consider me subscribed.

My tank journal:

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab_Man View Post
Thanks for the photo. I will interested to see if you get a reply. Consider me subscribed.
No reply yet...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Algae Grower

I literally filtered through 2 dozen 40 breeders and found none that lined up consistently. In the end I just picked one that looked like it had a generous application of silicone.

Having said that, I do not believe the integrity of the tanks is impacted that much. I don't notice the aesthetic part once it is filled and so far it seems like a nice tank. You sure can't beat the price and I don't blame the fast assembly but i do think they need a little quality control to send some back for a redo.

At the end of the day a lot of people purchase these for sumps or frag tanks, not display tanks. I prefer to have the cheap option and if I want to spend more I can get a higher quality build.

Not defending them I am just saying they are priced accordingly.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
cut it all apart and redo it, for fun!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode