Bamboo - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bamboo

Has anyone had experience with Bamboo in the tank?
I have a couple and they do look kinda cool, they are growing and need info on pruning, can I just lop 4-6" off the bottom or ?,
I rarely see any in tanks , they do not effect my water aremters at all.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/80%)
If you are talking about the lucky bamboo that is sold i many pet stores then, no I would not recommend it unless the leaves are sticking out of the top of your tank. It will rot over time if it is fully submerged. Lucky bamboo isn't real bamboo anyways. Only roots and stem should be submerged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wade0328; 01-21-2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bamboo is not a true aquatic plant. It can do well, however, if allowed to grow out of the water. For how long, though, I am not sure. The roots may like it better if they are dry every once in a while.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
True bamboo is not an aquatic plant of any sort. Although it appears woody it is in fact a grass.

That grows 50' tall. Mine towers over the live oaks. Some of mine are almost 3.5" around.

Lucky bamboo is a draceana.
There are a few threads already on TPT

Quote:
Bamboo Listeni/bmˈbuː/ (Bambuseae) is a tribe of flowering perennial evergreen plants in the grass family Poaceae, subfamily Bambusoideae, tribe Bambuseae. Giant bamboos are the largest members of the grass family. In bamboos, the internodal regions of the stem are hollow and the vascular bundles in the cross section are scattered throughout the stem instead of in a cylindrical arrangement. The dicotyledonous woody xylem is also absent. The absence of secondary growth wood causes the stems of monocots, even of palms and large bamboos, to be columnar rather than tapering.[1]
Quote:
Dracaena braunii is a species of the genus Dracaena. It is also known as Dracaena sanderiana, after the German–English gardener Henry Frederick Conrad Sander (1847–1920). Common names include Sander's dracaena, ribbon dracaena, lucky bamboo, curly bamboo, Chinese water bamboo, friendship bamboo, Goddess of Mercy plant, Belgian evergreen, and ribbon plant.[2]

D. braunii is one of a group of small, shrub by species with slender stems and flexible strap-shaped leaves that grow as understorey plants in rainforests. It is native to Cameroon in tropical west Africa. It is an upright shrub growing to 1.5 metres (5 ft) tall, with leaves 15–25 cm (6–10 in) long and 1.5–4 cm (1–2 in) broad at the base.

Cultivation and uses

Dracaena braunii and related species are popular houseplants, with numerous cultivars sold. It can survive in many indoor conditions, but indirect lighting is best as direct sunlight can cause the leaves to turn yellow and burn.

Although it grows better in soil, it is often sold with the roots in water. The water should be completely changed every two weeks. The water should be bottled water, soft tap water with very little fluoride, or even water from a filtered, established aquarium. It does best in bright, indirect lighting and temperatures from 15 to 25 C (59 to 77 F).

Yellow or brown leaf edges may be caused by too much direct light, crowded roots, or fluoridated or chlorinated water, the latter of which can no longer be prevented by leaving tap water exposed to the air as chloramine has largely replaced the more volatile chlorine in water treatment. Salty or softened water can also cause this.

Twisted shapes can be produced by rotating the plant with respect to gravity and directed light sources. This is difficult to achieve for most home users, but not impossible with a lot of spare time and a lot of patience.

Often in large chain pet shops it will be sold as an aquatic plant. While it will live for months like this, it will eventually rot unless the sprouts are allowed to grow above the surface.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm growing bambo out my hob filter I'll let you know how it does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode