cure MTS or let it be? - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: cure MTS or let it be?
Slow down! Maybe get rid of a few... 31 62.00%
One can never have enough tanks! 19 38.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Question cure MTS or let it be?

So my wife and I have been talking about setting up another tank. However, we realize every time we set a new one up, we're causing a higher electric bill and all that, and we have gotten quite the collection already... So my question is, do you think we should slow down/stop our MTS (multiple tank syndrome), or the more the merrier?

Current list (would be happy to share more info on any of them if requested):
125 gal
flora: java moss, java fern, floaters
fauna: jurupari, senegal bichir, S. eupterus, G. brasiliensis, buenas aires tetras, bristlenose tetras, kribs

55 gal
flora: java moss, java fern, couple kinds of lily, lucky bamboo, pothos, and duckweed
fauna: various neon tetras, tiger barbs, various cories, horseface loach, ram, kribs, clown plecos, and a goldfish recently added to eat the duckweed

two 29 gal
flora: pygmy chain sword, crypts, amazon sword, java fern, anubias, spider plant, pothos, dracaena, pepper plant, syngonium podophyllum
fauna: H. formosa, black moscow panda guppies, bumblebee gobies, various snails
bottom
marmorkrebs and snails

20 gal
flora: star grass, dwarf lilies, crypts, bacopa, sunset hygro, aponogeton, java moss, pothos
fauna: endlers, betta, ramshorns

20 gal
flora: amazon sword, java moss, java fern, pygmy chain sword, crypts, bacopa, frogbit
fauna: peacock gudgeons, various snails

12 gal
clownfish, snails, urchin, a few easy polyp corals

10 gal
flora: java moss, java fern
fauna: dwarf puffers

bay window
5 gal hex heavy planted with peacock gudgeon fry, natural colored RCS, and snails
5 gal bow front with java moss (waiting on shrimp)
various bowls with just plants and snails

basement setup: no tech, just lights and soil
20 gal, two 10 gal, and 5 gal emersed setups
two 10 gal plant holding tanks

Total:
10 tanks (plus 6 in basement and bowls)
~315 gallons of water (plus 20 gallons in basement)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Already 85 views, but only 4 votes?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Nice tanks!! Coming from someone that once had the time to enjoy MTS, it's easy to reduce tanks and put your attention into something else within the tank.

EFFICIENCY. This comes with a budget in mind though. I'd much rather have a smaller sleek aquarium with all bells and whistles then have multiple tanks I'm juggling with electricity etc.

I've built my recent tanks with use of electricity in mind. LEDs. Usage on lower elec canisters. Etc. I was cured of mts by focusing all my money and attention into one tank with efficient toys then spreading my attention and budget across a few tanks.

If I had that many tanks in a nice house. I'd easily break them all down and part out. Pick up a nice large 100+g rimless low iron hi clarity tank and get all the bells and whistles for an insane shrimp tank. Then once that's done. mAYBE mts will bite again and make me mess with more tanks.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
It all comes down to what you can afford in money, time and space.

If you're able to maintain all the tanks to the level they deserve, if you don't fall into the trap of letting an older set up languish uncared for while you chase after the next must-have, THIS one will be better tank, go for it.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
curious, how much time do you spend on maintenance in a week or a month?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason K View Post
curious, how much time do you spend on maintenance in a week or a month?
I'd guess a couple hours a week... None of the planted tanks are high tech, so growth is slow enough that I don't have to trim that much.

Water changes are with a python, so really don't take that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift
Nice tanks!! Coming from someone that once had the time to enjoy MTS, it's easy to reduce tanks and put your attention into something else within the tank.

EFFICIENCY. This comes with a budget in mind though. I'd much rather have a smaller sleek aquarium with all bells and whistles then have multiple tanks I'm juggling with electricity etc.

I've built my recent tanks with use of electricity in mind. LEDs. Usage on lower elec canisters. Etc. I was cured of mts by focusing all my money and attention into one tank with efficient toys then spreading my attention and budget across a few tanks.

If I had that many tanks in a nice house. I'd easily break them all down and part out. Pick up a nice large 100+g rimless low iron hi clarity tank and get all the bells and whistles for an insane shrimp tank. Then once that's done. mAYBE mts will bite again and make me mess with more tanks.
Thanks! I get what you mean. My problem is that the initial setup of any tank I do is so minimal, like it wouldn't cost me anything to set up a 20 gal right now cus I have all the stuff laying around. I can't bring myself to spend all sorts of money on one tank, so I fall into the trap of cheap setup, but high electric bills...

Plus I'd have a hard time deciding which fish to give up, lol.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:36 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwe View Post
I'd guess a couple hours a week... None of the planted tanks are high tech, so growth is slow enough that I don't have to trim that much.

As the wife, I think he called it a bit low on the hours spent. I imagine to him it does not feel like that much time because he enjoys it so much.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Speaking from experience, there's fine line between hobby & hoarding.

Hobbies are intended to be something that enhances our lives by offering a small diversion from the realities of daily life. When you loose perspective and your hobby rules your world you need to evaluate your situation.

How many is to much? Each one of us have a different answer.

Last edited by DogFish; 01-22-2014 at 10:58 AM. Reason: sp
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Honestly, if it were me, if I was going to have a big case of MTS, I'd be higher tech somewhere just so that I could at least try and justify the costs by selling some fancier plants every now and then.

Personally, I think you actually shouldn't set up a new tank, but re-do a tank or get a new tank that replaces a few smaller tanks. I personally never liked the idea of having a bunch of similar looking tanks, so I try and have different ideas in my 3 main tanks. I'm not sure what fish you own in each tank, but, if they can be combined into one, I say sell some excess stuff, combine into one really nice, thought out setup, maybe even get new toys for it as well, and call it a day.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:10 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Years ago, I had 14 tanks at one time. The hobby became more of a job and I stopped enjoying it as much. I cut back to 3 tanks eventually and regained the enjoyment.
As long as you are still enjoying having the tanks and maintaining all the plants, then go for it.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
While price certainly can put a hamper on the collection, either starting up or keeping up with water changes and heating/lighting, I'd say don't get rid of most of them. If anything downgrade by removing the most expensive to maintain one, if you can't spread the fauna and flora stock from it to existing tanks, sell them to earn back a little $ for the electric bill.
Frankly I am only just starting into MTS and hope to add several more (smaller) tanks.. and one giant one.. have to upgrade the soon-to-be-18-inch-poop-monster.. he's only half way done growing.. I love the aquarium hobby, it can be pricy but its a relaxing way to spend time, and a good work out for water changes (if you have to manually haul 5 gallon buckets of water around like me).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
Honestly, if it were me, if I was going to have a big case of MTS, I'd be higher tech somewhere just so that I could at least try and justify the costs by selling some fancier plants every now and then.

Personally, I think you actually shouldn't set up a new tank, but re-do a tank or get a new tank that replaces a few smaller tanks. I personally never liked the idea of having a bunch of similar looking tanks, so I try and have different ideas in my 3 main tanks. I'm not sure what fish you own in each tank, but, if they can be combined into one, I say sell some excess stuff, combine into one really nice, thought out setup, maybe even get new toys for it as well, and call it a day.
Agree. IMO if you want more tanks they should be very different (E.g. - African tank, rockscape tank, something different...)

If I were you I would divert my focus with rescapes, etc.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
If I were you I would divert my focus with rescapes, etc.
+1 When I get itchy for a new set up, I typically take a good look at what I've already got--either to pick a 'scape I've grown tired of to re-do or to consolidate tanks in order to free up a tank for a new idea.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Planted Member

I agree with other posters in the area of consolidation or upgrading of tanks. Good points. You can rejuvenate alot of your fun by redoing an existing tank. If you do decide on a new tank have something specific before you buy it. Maybe something entirely different like a small saltwater tank? I've been considering that myself as I currently have 13 tanks NOT counting the numerous betta jars popping up around the house. =D My husband is a great guy that tolerates my hobby well. There have been alot of new advances in the saltwater front and there are alot of beginner friendly fish/shrimp out there.

Last edited by TraceyW; 01-22-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Speaking from experience, there's fine line between hobby & hoarding.

Hobbies are intended to be something that enhances our lives by offering a small diversion from the realities of daily life. When you loose perspective and your hobby rules your world you need to evaluate your situation.

How many is to much? Each one of us have a different answer.
I agree so much with you we should probably go out for a beer.

Right now OP has a bunch of tanks that could use maintenance, some could be combined, broken down, or redone with a focus on another aspect of the hobby. whether it be aquascaping, breeding something, done differently than the others. right now they all look, pretty much, the same.

Do something different with what you've got. focus on another aspect of the hobby, other than how much water you're caring for.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode