My experience with tetra safe start - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
My experience with tetra safe start

I just wanted to share my experience with TSS. I have a 6g edge that was taking forever to cycle. Ammonia was around 2ppm and nitrites were off the chart. I bought a bottle of TSS and dumped in half. 2 days later and ammonia is .25ppm and nitrites are .25ppm. I also added it right after dosing prime which they say not to do. I also did no water change to bring down the nitrites.

If you have a stubborn tank, I'd say it's definitely worth a try.

MantisX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks for the input, I've heard good things about this product.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/80%)
I might try this out, I'm like 3 days into my cycle with .25ppm of ammonia level lol. It will not go up. I'm going to have to buy some ammonia or something.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I cycled a new 75g in 8 days with this product my tank was heavily planted

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm using the supplied Nutrafin Cycle that came with my Edge. Tonight I'll add the third and final dosing of it but so far my ammonia has been at .50ppm and my Nitrites and Nitrates have been 0.

Did you try the Nutrafin Cycle that came with your tank or was it unsuccessful? Based on my testing it appears to not be very effective. Tomorrow night will be the true test if it worked (That will make it 3 full days of treatment)
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
The nutrafin cycle didnt go well for me. Maybe I got a bad batch. It clouded my water, then cleared, but none of the parameters budged for weeks. I dosed 2ppm of ammonia to start and that hardly moved. I saw results in days with TSS.

Glad to hear the nutrafin is working for you though!

MantisX
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Tetra Safestart+ worked well for me only, 14g planted tank. Had .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10-20 nitrates within 2 days. Totally cycled in 7 days. Ammonia never went above .25. Be sure to fully shake the bottle, as the only time if didn't work 100% was when I didn't shake the container. However, that was with it's predecessor BioSpira.....still, it says to shake well so be sure to!
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
It worked really well for me, cycled my tank within a day. I thought it was too good to be true and kept testing nitrites and ammonia for 3 weeks straight with two different test kits but they kept reading 0 ppm. Very satisfied with the product. As a note, petsmart overprices it at 14 dollars but you can get a bottle of tetra safestart (not plus) at walmart for 6 bucks. Haven't tried the safe start and the only difference I think is that safestart plus treats more gallons. I also noticed that the bottle of safestart doesn't include any mention of the "patented formula for Biospira.

-Neil
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've used it and had nothing but good experiences with it. Even when moving established media from tank to tank, I add a bottle of SafeStart for good measure.

Just buy the newest, freshest bottle possible, make sure it doesn't overheat and that it doesn't get too cold and you're golden. It's like a snakeoil product, but it actually works.

SunSun Pimp #86
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade0328 View Post
I might try this out, I'm like 3 days into my cycle with .25ppm of ammonia level lol. It will not go up. I'm going to have to buy some ammonia or something.
Nitrites/Nitrates going up?

RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fandsw View Post
Tetra Safestart+ worked well for me only, 14g planted tank. Had .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10-20 nitrates within 2 days. Totally cycled in 7 days. Ammonia never went above .25. Be sure to fully shake the bottle, as the only time if didn't work 100% was when I didn't shake the container. However, that was with it's predecessor BioSpira.....still, it says to shake well so be sure to!
Was there an ammonia source in your tank? Fish maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilshieh View Post
It worked really well for me, cycled my tank within a day. I thought it was too good to be true and kept testing nitrites and ammonia for 3 weeks straight with two different test kits but they kept reading 0 ppm. Very satisfied with the product. As a note, petsmart overprices it at 14 dollars but you can get a bottle of tetra safestart (not plus) at walmart for 6 bucks. Haven't tried the safe start and the only difference I think is that safestart plus treats more gallons. I also noticed that the bottle of safestart doesn't include any mention of the "patented formula for Biospira.
Was there anything in your tank when you added it? Was this an empty tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
I'm using the supplied Nutrafin Cycle that came with my Edge. Tonight I'll add the third and final dosing of it but so far my ammonia has been at .50ppm and my Nitrites and Nitrates have been 0.

Did you try the Nutrafin Cycle that came with your tank or was it unsuccessful? Based on my testing it appears to not be very effective. Tomorrow night will be the true test if it worked (That will make it 3 full days of treatment)
Is there anything else in your tank? Fish?

Eheim Pimp #448

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-21-2014 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
Nitrites/Nitrates going up?
Nitrites are 0 nitrates are a dark yellow on my test kit but i think it's 0. Not much ammonia popping up. I'm going to run to walmart and get some of this stuff!

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I like this stuff as well - be sure to check the date on the bottom (this stuff does expire)

I used it on my tank, but did a 'cycle' - feeding the tank Ace ammonia for a 4 weeks and watching levels. maybe I wasted my time, maybe I encouraged a larger bacteria colony, who knows.

Stuff seems to work though

Fight Apathy!... or don't, whatever
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Planted Member

Just bought some and dumped the whole thing in my 20 long. Hopefully it works! Will update!

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
Was there an ammonia source in your tank? Fish maybe?

Was there anything in your tank when you added it? Was this an empty tank?

Is there anything else in your tank? Fish?
Yep, I added the fish at the same time as the Safestart+. Not a problem to them at all.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode