Cleaning planted tank and catching fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Cleaning planted tank and catching fish

How do you clean a planted tank and how do you catch fish in one with all the plants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I use two nets. One net to coral the fish into a bigger net. Just watch out for wood and other things the nets could get snagged on. I try to catch them in an open area like the front of the tank so that doesn't happen

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
use a gravel cleaner, those syphon things you use to remove water and clean the gunk out of the gravel, and gently "vacuum" across the top of the substaight and the base of the plants...works great

The Fraternity of Dirt....member #102
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.

=

=

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

"Cleaning" my planted tanks consists of: occasionally scraping green dot algae off the front glass, pulling excess decaying plant material, rinsing the filter media as needed and doing periodic water changes; I disturb the substrate as little as possible. On my sand tanks where snail poop collects on the surface of the sand, I'll lightly skim the surface with an airline during water changes to suck up the worst of it, or wave my hand over the substrate to kick up the debris into the water column so the filter gets it.

Catching fish depends on the fish in question. Most of the time, if I just need to catch one of my tetra or a mid/top swimming fish, I'll wait until an hour or so after lights are off, hit the tank with a flashlight and net the fish out before it wakes up enough to swim off. If I'm trying to catch a bunch of fish (like all my neons) I'll try to time it after a heavy prune on the tank so there's more clear area and follow up with night attempts until I've got everything. Or leave the net sitting in the water near the top of the tank for a few days til they get used to it, then snabbing fish from underneath while they're at the surface feeding.

Some fish, like my &*@#* SAE, can only be caught by removing the majority of the hardscape and large plants and dropping the water waaaay down.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:27 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I feel for you. SAE are hard to catch in a bare wide open tank not to mention a planted tank. Fish traps work sometimes. And patience. Lots and lots and lots of patience.

Last edited by thelub; 01-28-2014 at 05:40 AM. Reason: hopefully my post makes more sense lol
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 06:16 AM
Algae Grower

Cleaning planted tank and catching fish

To catch SAE you simply use your hand or small net to chase it into the biggest net in the most wide open area. That way there is no chasing with the net. You carefully annoy it from place to place until it retreats into you's net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't have room in my tank's to use net's without damaging plant's so I try not to place fish in the tank that would need to come out.
I have lot's of tall plant's that if I lowered the water level,,the plant's would simply bow down making it even more difficult to catch the fish.
In the rare instance where I wish to remove fish without pulling out hardscape/plant's,, I Begin to starve the fish for a few day's so that they quickly rise to the surface anticipating food.I then try and quickly catch them near the surface.
Other's are easy to slip up on at night when they are resting near the surface and no light.
Sometimes,,I can easily catch the fish,other times I catch one maybe,go away and come back after ten or twenty minutes and try again.
if the fish are hungry,,they will return to the surface when I approach in anticipation of food.
As you can see,,,this is hit or miss affair and requires much patience and a few cuss word's.
Larger the tank,the more plant's,the more patience (and cuss word's).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses.

I was wondering about catching the fish because I want to put Guppies in my tank. I'm going to put mostly males but you know how they reproduce!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
A simple fish trap has helped me in the past when I wanted to catch some fish without stressing them out. To make the basic fish trap take any plastic bottle, but the top portion off, turn it around, and stick it inside, I like to poke some holes in large portion of the bottle, helps with water flow and when you remove the trap it will drain so you don't make a big mess. So the part you drink, or pour from, is inside the bottle. Then you can add some food inside the trap and put it to work! My fish can be pigs so I bait them with a frozen cube of blood worms and it works like a charm, they will swim in to get the food, and can't get back out. To get the fish out you simply remove the trap and pull it apart. I've had great success with this, but this is best used when you have some extra time and are not in a rush to get that fish caught! Another option, but not one I like doing but have to when I move, it drain as much water out as you can and scoop them out with a net or a cup, I will drain my 75 gallon till it has maybe 3 inches of water in it, I have some fast moving fish in there like TSAE and GBR so they can be a pain to try and catch when the tank is full. I hope this helps.

Best regards,
AQ
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I used the trap method that aquarist mentioned to catch my pygmy cories. It took about a week to get them all moved to another tank, but it worked without the stress of catching them in nets and I didn't destroy any plants/hardscape.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Never had much luck with the pop bottle fish trap trick; most of the tough fish to catch don't fit thru the opening and there's really not room for the bottle anyway. But I can see where it'd work pretty well in a more open scape and with smaller fish.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's a great idea. Unless your fish are large, you could use a small coke bottle.

Thanks!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kntry View Post
That's a great idea. Unless your fish are large, you could use a small coke bottle.

Thanks!
Thanks for the bottle tips!!I think that would be excellent for my 10 gallon extra long...
If not ,I still have some fishing rods in my basement.Fishing season is closed right now ,but I'd be doing it on private property ,so I'm no poacher

Can't come to work today ,Boss......I've got Bolbitis...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Catching guppies is easy. Just put some fish food in your hand and hold your hand cupped and still just under the water's surface. Stupid friendly things just swim right in and you can scoop them out. I just had to move 40 from one tank to another and it took about 20 minutes to get them all out. Even the fry!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode