Does your planted tank smell very strong? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does your planted tank smell very strong?

I recently started a planted tank and it has made my room smell very strong and my wife does not like it. I have never had this issues with saltwater and wondered if this was normal. I believe my culprit may just be the java moss but wanted to see if strong smell is normal to planted tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
hmm you shouldn't be smelling it. Something is off if you are. You might have some blue green algae going on, that stuff smells very strong.

-Jacklyn
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
A UV might help, if you have one

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmm I have been struggling with blue green algae. Hopefully that is the issue and I can find a way to defeat it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Cyanobacteria/blue-green algae has a VERY strong grassy/earthy odor to it. That's likely where it's coming from.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
hmm you shouldn't be smelling it. Something is off if you are. You might have some blue green algae going on, that stuff smells very strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centromochlus View Post
Cyanobacteria/blue-green algae has a VERY strong grassy/earthy odor to it. That's likely where it's coming from.
+1, BGA reeks!

OP, bump up your NO3, and short term you can spot dose with H2O2 up to 3ml/gal to kill the BGA.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
adding an airstone helps with BGA also. Cyanobacteria is caused by stale stagnant water so anything to battle against this ie more flow, bigger and more frequent water changes, turn up your filter output if you can etc.

also like they said ethromycin helps but there are other non chemical methods. easiest for me is a UV sterilizer.

-Jacklyn
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
adding an airstone helps with BGA also. Cyanobacteria is caused by stale stagnant water so anything to battle against this ie more flow, bigger and more frequent water changes, turn up your filter output if you can etc.

also like they said ethromycin helps but there are other non chemical methods. easiest for me is a UV sterilizer.
My tank smells kinda like a pond. It's not overpowering, just when I open up the top and have my face right over it. I have java moss and and some algae in there as well.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do not have a canister filter so the UV I do not believe is an option. Erythromycin is prescription only right? My LFS has a product called blue-green algae remover would that work?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
UVs usually only work on algae that is in the water, like that which would cause green water. You might wait a while if you expect it to do something for BGA.

H2O2 and antibiotics can work and some have had good success with a total blackout, but there are mixed results there.

If the smell is bothering put some carbon in your filter and it will be gone in a day or two. None of my tanks have a smell. I have 5 in one room and smell-wise you wouldn't know it.

Eheim Pimp #448
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 11:56 PM

As mentioned, BGA has a very strong, pungent odor to it.

A planted aquarium has little to no smell; it is kind of like a bag of potting soil.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did I miss tank size and size and type of filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards,
Aquaticz
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Well, I've noticed that if the substrate has a lot of junk in it and it gets disturbed, it can sometimes make a sulfery smelly...which I think might be a sign of your substrate going anaerobic but don't quote me on that.

I know with me, I have a really bad smell when I open my tank...but that's just because food likes to get wet and caught between the glass and the top and no one thinks to wipe that off for weeks on end :S

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticz View Post
Did I miss tank size and size and type of filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8 gallon aqueon evolve running filter floss and purigen.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 05:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have 3 open topped tanks in a 9X12' room and you wouldn't know there were aquariums in it. It's probably the BGA or some source of decay.

Erythromycin is in API Maracyn (not the 2 - just plain Maracyn). You can buy erythromycin cheaper on e-bay or at http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/products.html - EM-pro is $16.80 plus shipping there. People struggle with BGA and eventually wind up treating the tank. Might just cut to the chase and do the dosing...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode