Transporting established planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Transporting established planted tank

I'm moving to a new place and this includes moving my 20 gallon long shrimp tank. It has a good number of Cherry Shrimp and PFR Cherry Shrimp of all sizes. It's got it's fair share of plants, everything from Wisteria to Crypts to moss.
I don't think I could take everything out without killing half my shrimp and making a huge mess out of a tank I finally got "right".
Can I empty it so that it only has maybe 4" of water and transport it like that? With the sand and shrimp still in there? It's a very short ride, only 15 minutes to the new place, and I already know where I'll be setting it up.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I dont see any problems with this, Ive done it many times. Just keep in mind water is very heavy and if you dont support the tanka bottom. Smash there goes everything...
I just placed mine on a flat pull cart ment for moving fridges, basicly a plywood board and some wheels... Good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I moved a few months ago. The two tanks I didn't tear down were a 55 and a 10. The 10g was a shrimp tank. I just left a few inches of water and set it on the front seat of my truck. No problems at all. The 55g had some algae issues initially, probably from disturbing the substrate, but it worked out just fine. Both were like that for 5 hours or so. Pay attention when your driving though. Those sudden stops, turns or accelerations slosh the water around quite a lot. Be the guy everyone cusses for driving so slow lol

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
On a tank that small with shrimp, I would siphon out all of the water and shrimp. Once you get down to about 5 gallons left tilt the tank forwards so the water pools up against the front side and suck out as many shrimp as you can. One good slosh with 4" water in that tank and your scape will be destroyed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode