H.o.b. Ok?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
H.o.b. Ok??

I hear that having a H.O.B. filter with diy co2 is practly pointless,

But, what about having a H.O.B. with pressurized co2??

I am going to get a pressurized system all set up by Friday, and I was wondering if I still need to get rid of my H.O.B for a canister filter. If a H.O.B. will due just fine with pressurized, than I'd like to just stick with the H.O.B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
What size tank do you have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

Canister would be better but depending on the size tank HOB can work.

read here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 07:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
HOB is great if you mist microbubbles of CO2 under it's outflow and blast them around the tank. Just make sure it's not high flow like an AC70, adjustable ones are better. Finish your setup then measure your CO2 ppm (ei, what's your pH and KH now / what are they after CO2 is running for a while), if it stinks then change the filter.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

The tank is only a 30gal. So, its pretty small. I keep the water level filled to the top of the rim for the least surface agitation, but id like to lower it slightly to create a slight bit more flow in the tank...

Also, I was thinking about just defusing my pressurized co2 through a glass diffuser. Would this still be ok while having a hob??

IF with the hob it were to diffuse out some co2... couldn't I just do more "bubbles per sec"?? until i get it figured out to reach my desired co2 ppm?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

a HOB would handle a pressurized with no issues. Read the thread I have included in my last post and take a look at the last page. Also, if you do not own a DC get one.

The Junkie
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
HOB is great if you mist microbubbles of CO2 under it's outflow and blast them around the tank. Just make sure it's not high flow like an AC70, adjustable ones are better. Finish your setup then measure your CO2 ppm (ei, what's your pH and KH now / what are they after CO2 is running for a while), if it stinks then change the filter.
I run HOB with pressurized and it works fine. I actually run an AC70 and an AC30 at the same time. I put the diffuser right under the outlet of the AC70 and it blows the bubbles around just as jaidexl said. You can always ajust the flow if it is too much. I don't put much stock in the "out gassing" theory.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
I run HOB with pressurized and it works fine. I actually run an AC70 and an AC30 at the same time. I put the diffuser right under the outlet of the AC70 and it blows the bubbles around just as jaidexl said. You can always ajust the flow if it is too much. I don't put much stock in the "out gassing" theory.
In my 75 I run a cascade 1000 and a AC70. I just added CO2 this week and have the difusser located below the AC70. Seems to be pushing the bubbles around pretty well.

Not sure how well it's working yet as the CO2 has only been in the tank for 2 days now.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I used to use an AC70 also. I mentioned not using one but the reasoning for me downsizing it was actually the addition of a betta splendens. Otherwise it was best at pushing bubbles, they would flow all the way down the front glass to the substrate then veer off throughout the groundcover. Just thought I should mention that since I knocked AC filters in my last post, I felt like flow was too strong (mainly after a sponge cleaning), but I don't recall that having a negetive effect on my CO2 ppm.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to JHipkin
I used a HOB for years on my 20. It's better w/ a canister but the HOB worked fine.

You won't increase your flow by lowering your water level. Flow is driven by the filter pump size. If you lower the water level you will get more agitation on the surface, which will out gas CO2, but no more "flow".

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode