How big and how many quarantine tanks do you have? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
How big and how many quarantine tanks do you have?

How big and how many quarantine tanks do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have 1 official quarantine tank (20 long). I use 3 different 20 longs off and on, so I guess they all count as quarantine tanks.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have one 10 gallon tank just for quarantine. I will move a sponge filter from one of my established tanks and a small heater.

I also use the drip method to acclimate the fish to my water.

I keep them QTd for 30 days.

My tank journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag View Post
I have 1 official quarantine tank (20 long). I use 3 different 20 longs off and on, so I guess they all count as quarantine tanks.
I picked up 2 20L and 2 10 today at Petco, I was not sure what I wanted to go with, but after getting them home, I think the 2 20L are going to work perfect.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
1 10G. If I need bigger or more I have an epidemic on my hands and I'd probably be better off stripping the tank down and re-filling and use it as a QT.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I don't get new stock in frequently enough to keep a dedicated QT tank up and running, but I keep on hand a 5g tank with its own pump, air lines and stone, heater, in tank filter, nets and bag of gravel that's ready to be set up at a moments notice and is broken down and bleached clean after each use. It's more commonly used for treatment than QT though, as I take in "rescue" fish fairly often.

Like most in the hobby, I've also got a couple totes full of misc. equipment, leftover substrate, hard scape pieces and nearly always have a few empty aquariums on hand. I tend towards smaller tanks (my largest just now is 37g) so my spares are proportional.

Last edited by Knotyoureality; 01-19-2014 at 10:51 PM. Reason: g-naz
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Makes me think maybe to go with one 20L and 2 10, I think mine will be very loaded the first few months trying to get all my fish in the new tank. The new tank is going to be 265 g, so it going to take a while. I really don't know how much I will use the QT after the tank is stocked.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
it depends, what kind of fish are you getting?
if they are small, a 10 or 20 will be plenty...I have the issue though where I kind of wish my QT tank was more like a 30 though, just cause I like larger fish. Also, because I double my QT tank as a plant grow out tank and just a place to keep species that I currently don't want in displays, but don't want to be rid of either.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
it depends, what kind of fish are you getting?
if they are small, a 10 or 20 will be plenty...I have the issue though where I kind of wish my QT tank was more like a 30 though, just cause I like larger fish. Also, because I double my QT tank as a plant grow out tank and just a place to keep species that I currently don't want in displays, but don't want to be rid of either.
Yeah all the fish I plan to get will be very small to start with. What I don't want to happen is make it a full time job just taking care of QT tanks. That my main concerns. Once I get my fish stocked, I don't see using them that much other than grow out or for extra plants. I think that why 40b will be overkill
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
.... What I don't want to happen is make it a full time job just taking care of QT tanks. That my main concerns....
I don't do pre-empted meds in the Q-Tank. I use it primarily as observation and to get the new fish in optimal condition prior to putting them in the display tank. That said it's just a check 2Xs a day and weekly water changes on my Q-Tank when it's running.

Currently I use a 10g as I'm keeping smaller fish these days. My 20L grow out tanks have done double duty too. I think Quarantine tends to mean medicated and that does not necessarily have to be the case.

Last edited by DogFish; 01-20-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: it not is
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
I have a dedicated 20 gal that is my quarantine tank and 2 55 gal tanks that I used to use for any new koi that I got for my pond but don't leave them set up. If I need them there in my shed and can be put into use when need be.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
I really don't know how much I will use the QT after the tank is stocked.
That is when you need the QT the most. When you have enough established fish in your tank, jeopardizing them with a new one is too much of a risk without QT.

My tank journal:

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode