I converted my Full-blown Reef Tank to a Planted Tank! (pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
xtm

PTrader: (0/0%)
I converted my Full-blown Reef Tank to a Planted Tank! (pics)

hey plant gurus!

since I moved my reef to a bigger tank (75), I transformed the cube into a planted tank. I like how I don't have to deal with the sump, skimmer, etc in that cramped space

Just wanted to share some pics.. before:

AFTER

I am not as good as you guys when it comes to aquascaping planted tanks.. lol. It still has that messy grass look. Should I switch to a lighter-colored sand? I bought some "dwarf" sags for foreground but they're awfully HUGE for a foreground. Any advice? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
that is very nice =D MH lights? Dwarf Saggs are Awesome, Just yours are Emerged/Submerged and The leaves would get Thinner then they start spreading

One month in.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Good job!! Only, I don't personally care for the look of actinic lights on a non-reef tank, but other than that GREAT job!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
I don't think it's just not a personal choice; plants don't grow as well in actinic lighting. You should look into a bulb with a spectrum somewhere in the 6700-10000 range.

Beautiful tank. I personally love that reef (what a shame it went down!). Maybe it's because I'm trying to get started into reefs myself now, after having been in the planted tank side for a while.

Keep the darker sand. It looks better IMO than lighter sand. Well, looking good! Will look forward to see how this tank progresses!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very nice. You'll be much happier with your plant progression more of a standard plant bulb in your lighting. I'm thinking I've read that 5000-10000K is the rule of thumb but most here talk more specifically about 6700-10000K.
________
Squirt4uuu

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 01:08 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
xtm...so why is your reef tank still in your avatar on RC? Haha, just bustin' your chops, man.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
Amazing Job Man !

- Fishlover
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Tanks :
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
xtm

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
xtm...so why is your reef tank still in your avatar on RC? Haha, just bustin' your chops, man.
hey man, nice to see you here. I know I've seen you somewhere I just can't remember where..lol I don't know what to replace my avatar with, but I'll change it one of these days..

thanks for the kind comments everyone. Actually I don't have actinic in there. I have 10K and 7100K PC bulbs. I went to the LFS today looking for another 7100K bulb but good thing they didn't have it. I just got back and read the replies so now I'm thinking about getting the 10K instead.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
xtm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeun View Post
Beautiful tank. I personally love that reef (what a shame it went down!). Maybe it's because I'm trying to get started into reefs myself now, after having been in the planted tank side for a while.

Keep the darker sand. It looks better IMO than lighter sand. Well, looking good! Will look forward to see how this tank progresses!
Thanks! don't worry, my new 75G reef will blow the old cube tank away

good luck on your reef project!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtm View Post
hey man, nice to see you here. I know I've seen you somewhere I just can't remember where..lol I don't know what to replace my avatar with, but I'll change it one of these days..

thanks for the kind comments everyone. Actually I don't have actinic in there. I have 10K and 7100K PC bulbs. I went to the LFS today looking for another 7100K bulb but good thing they didn't have it. I just got back and read the replies so now I'm thinking about getting the 10K instead.

I've got 2 6700K's and 2 10000K's and makes a nice combination. Plants like it and the combination makes for a nice tone for viewing. Least I like it anyway.
________
Volcano solid or easy valve

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 01:08 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

shoulda kept the reef

90 gal.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
That reef was awesome.

Oh yeah, nice plants too

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode