Does it matter when you dose... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Does it matter when you dose...

I am getting ready to head to the lake in search for dw, stones, etc....is it okay to dose my glut at anytime before the lights are on? Is it safe to do it all the time if so? Can ferts be done in the same manner or always with lights on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I don't think it really matters. Just as long as you dose them sometime before or after the lights come on. I think it has more to do with the fact that the earlier you dose them, the more time the plants have to use the nutrients during the photoperiod. Sometimes I'm not home in the morning and don't dose till halfway through the photoperiod. Never noticed any problems in growth

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Most of the macro nutrients are absorbed most during the day time, so early morning is probably theoretically the best time. I agree with The Trigger though, I don't think it matters much in our tanks, we are talking about small differences in an unlimiting nutrient environment.

Also, gluteraldehyde is not a nutrient. It also has a half life of 7-8 hours and will be gone within a day no matter what time you dose it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great!..BTW I knew glut wasn't a nutrient, its the main ingredient of excel, liquid co2...I was wanting to know a few things and may not have worded things "clearly" enough...:-) but thanks for clarifying just in case "if" I didn't know...so Zapins you are saying I can dose ferts/glut when lights are off "anytime of the day" whether my lights are on or off, clarify please?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Think he's saying it's better to dose glut early because it breaks down after about 8 hours. Basically this means the earlier you dose it, the more time the plants have to use it before the chemical bond breaks down and becomes useless to the plants. Excel usually has to be added daily for this reason. ferts stick around indefinitely until they are either removed(water change) or consumed by the plants

~Sam

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay...I already dose glut daily from noon to 8 ......that is 8 hours
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

Than I'd suggest dosing glut right as the lights come on. So the beginning of your photoperiod to maximize the effectiveness.

~Sam

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay I will continue doing what I been doing...like they say don't rock the boat.....I was just curious...thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode