best canister filter for 120g tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
best canister filter for 120g tank

what is the best canister filter for 120g tank? People who own big tanks, what do you use?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I am getting this shiver when people want the "best". Always leads to that big discussion of what is best, because what's best to me isn't what's best to you.

Assuming unlimited budget, best is completely different than if you look for best value.

Anyway... define what you mean by best... and I tell you that I have two XP3's on my 100gal tank and I am fairly happy with them. Maybe best value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
And just to spark up the canister wars:

I have 2 Eheim 2026's on my 125. I like the redundancy, and flow options of having 2 filters on a large tank.

Although I will say that both the Fluval FX5, and Eheim pro III both look nice, even though I have no experience with either.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Best in perfomance. is it better to have 2 smaller canisters like you do? or one big will do?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I won't say better, but there are benefits:
1) if 1 filter dies, you still have a filter running.
2) Easier to play with water flows since you have 2 ins, and 2 outputs.
3) Alternate maintenance
4) shorter hoses
Drawbacks:
1) more equipment in the tank
2) more space in the cabinet
3) probably more electrical use.

I'm sure there are others for both catagories, but it's a start.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have an Eheim 2128 on my 120. I love the built-in heater. It really minimizes junk in the tank. Better flow than the XP3 too.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
FX5 if you are looking for flow and throughput. I have one and also a 2028 in my 125 gallon. The 2028 clogs up about twice as fast, but the FX5 traps a lot of air. They are about the same price up here, so if I could only afford one, I would go with the FX5. For sure if you can afford 2x2028, go that route. But then, if you can do that, you can also afford one of each or any other combo.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Or you could always do a sump like I am doing on my 120... Offers a lot of flexibility. But canisters are def. an easy way to do things and they do work.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a sump now, it has a lid but I'm not getting a good level of c02 like I used to with a canister. I was thinking in building a canister myself with a 5 gal bucket and powerful pump, maybe throw a hetar in there. Does anyone know of DIY canisters?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjero View Post
I have a sump know, it has lid but I'm not getting a goo level of c02 like I used to with a canister.
While I do agree it is so much easier to get Co2 in any canister setup, here is the fix to your issue. Misting is the only 'efficient' way to get Co2 in a big tank with any sump setup.

I have a 90gal with a relatively big 36" x 12" x 14" sump with no fancy sealing blah blah to keep in co2 and I have no issues maintaining correct co2 levels at all times. I was doing that initially with a R5K & a LGPH powerhead but ever since trying the TBARR venturi reactor I have had to lower my bubble count 'even though I could count before, it is much slower now and I do not have to race with it to try counting' and I have been able to increase turnover flow. Why not give it a try before giving up on your sump setup and save your self a few hundred dollars....it's only a few bucks?

The Junkie
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjero View Post
I was thinking in building a canister myself with a 5 gal bucket and powerful pump, maybe throw a hetar in there. Does anyone know of DIY canisters?
I know it is darn difficult to get them leak-proof. There have been some nano DIY canister designs here, but for the size you are talking about, the risk to empty the tank due to some malfunction is considerable. Bucket-sumps are much safer.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
While I do agree it is so much easier to get Co2 in any canister setup, here is the fix to your issue. Misting is the only 'efficient' way to get Co2 in a big tank with any sump setup.

I have a 90gal with a relatively big 36" x 12" x 14" sump with no fancy sealing blah blah to keep in co2 and I have no issues maintaining correct co2 levels at all times. I was doing that initially with a R5K & a LGPH powerhead but ever since trying the TBARR venturi reactor I have had to lower my bubble count 'even though I could count before, it is much slower now and I do not have to race with it to try counting' and I have been able to increase turnover flow. Why not give it a try before giving up on your sump setup and save your self a few hundred dollars....it's only a few bucks?
I have seen that before but I cant really understand it. Can you help assembling that reactor?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
sure......

The Junkie
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so the long rigid tube goes in but where does it get glue? I dont get this part "You insert a 12" long piece of rigid 3/16" tubing and glue the top and bottom with the PVC glue.:"
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

do you use on you return pump? or do you have an individual power head for this?>

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode