Bricks???? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Bricks????

Im looking outside and loving how the plants are growing over the bricks. And just thinking if it would be safe to add them to my tank. Of course after good cleaning and boiling of them. Would this be a good idea.

EDIT: would it alter the pH in any way or should I try it out in a bucket first?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Riley
I don't think they would be a problem. You could always to the acid test. Put a small drop of vinegar or muriatic acid on the brick and see if it fizzes, it fizzes, dont use it. If it doesnt fizz, it should be fine. I think once clay is fired it doesnt have any buffering capability anyways. People use clay pots in tanks just fine.

--------------

Riley
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use bricks in my pond and it is happy as can be. Go for it!!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 04:37 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
they should be just fine in your tank. you ought to use them as a theme.

we went on a trip to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago a while back. oddly, i found one of the most pleasing exhibits of all to be a simple tank with goldfish (as example of "exotic invasive" species) scaped with plants and red brick.

some of the coolest rocks that i have ever found are (must be really old) terra cotta brick that were on the beach in Massachussetts. they had rolled around in the surf for such a long time that they were nicely rounded and nearly oval in shape.

how about "paving" the whole floor of the tank with brick over a little bit of your other substrate. that could look really cool! this would probably work best in a tank with a broad floor, such as a 40g breeder.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Thank you thank you thank you - this is a fantastic idea! I just wonder about weight distribution issues... but yes, the wheels are turning!

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Just make sure it's actual fired clay brick and not the pavers that you see at Lowe's, Home Depot and the like which are manufactured from concrete. I imagine the latter would play havoc with your PH.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
<< Pondering if I should add a few bricks to my 10 gal tank >>

Would that make it a nano?

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke View Post
Just make sure it's actual fired clay brick and not the pavers that you see at Lowe's, Home Depot and the like which are manufactured from concrete. I imagine the latter would play havoc with your PH.
Im going to test it out in a bucket of water to see if it affects the pH any. I have a bunch of bricks in the back and it was so interesting looking at the aloe plant and golden pothos creeping over and then having a stone pathway it would look so awesome.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Perhaps you should do a blind Scape, And just throw bricks in the tank and where they end up is where they go. Be sure not to throw too hard...

One month in.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Frozen barb. Well I would try that if these werent so large. I really wanted to make a two teir layout. A non plant level and a planted level. The non plant level would have stones burried in the gravel but were they look like cobble stone(but where nothing can get inton cracks). Moss would be on the bricks just so it does replicate either one of two things 1) Vines on a university wall(lower deck) or 2) moss growing in a garden. Either one would be an interesting scape and it is how its done. I am unsure yet.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I bet brick would be GREAT for mosses, considering it's normally so porous. Mosses and... crypts. I've been afraid to try brick, though I love the color... Let us know how it turns out.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Fired clay I believe is inert. But I could be worng. If tanks are ok for SMS, why not bricks.

This is a cool idea.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
I have seen a tank with bricks in it. It look really good it was on the base of the tank layed out so it looked like a walk way. But growing some kind of grass between them. When I looked at it I thought of my walk way with grass growing up between them. I have also seen them used as a base then the sub put on top of it so they could scape with alot less substraight. They placed it up so it kind of made a mound in the center of his tank. After he was done with it it looked great. I called that tank the grassy knoll that the second gunman was on.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangala View Post
I bet brick would be GREAT for mosses, considering it's normally so porous. Mosses and... crypts. I've been afraid to try brick, though I love the color... Let us know how it turns out.
Well it dropped the pH in a bucket to 6.6 about 4 hours ago. And it has yet to drop anymore. I will see if I can take some "good" pics(all my pics come out so bad). I decided that any moss that floats and attaches will start it off. Pretty much just how it forms in the garden itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Fired clay I believe is inert. But I could be worng. If tanks are ok for SMS, why not bricks.

This is a cool idea.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfish View Post
I have seen a tank with bricks in it. It look really good it was on the base of the tank layed out so it looked like a walk way. But growing some kind of grass between them. When I looked at it I thought of my walk way with grass growing up between them. I have also seen them used as a base then the sub put on top of it so they could scape with alot less substraight. They placed it up so it kind of made a mound in the center of his tank. After he was done with it it looked great. I called that tank the grassy knoll that the second gunman was on.
lol. The theme for the tank will be "Oversized Planter box". Pretty much its like every creature is shrunk and in a garden and at one end of a planter. Plants for inside the planter will be Hygrophila difformis, nymphae sp. aponogeton ulvaceous. Plants for the cracks will be anubias species. and then on the "walkway" it will be marsilia sp. for in between the rocks to kinda preform the lawn effect.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 03:48 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
i think that the key will be to not try to hide at all what they are. it would be best to treat them in the tank just the same as they are actually used--either stacked up or laid down as pavement.

i have seen some real cool marine tanks adorned with bottles, net floats, toilet seats and other jetsam and garbage. this concept can be quite successful. however, other similar ideas, such as wrecked model airplanes or boats that are completely out of scale with everything else, don't work at all.

it would be worthwhile to take the extra time to find real old antique terra cotta bricks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode