Whats the trick to keep suction cups sucked? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Whats the trick to keep suction cups sucked?

IM getting pretty pissed having to re-attach them everytime i walk by.... i tried razor blading the glass, washing the suctioncups, all that good stuff. is there something like veg oil, or something weird that i wouldnt think off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you don't plan on moving them, put a dab of silicon on each one. Depending on what it's for, you can also use a mag float or fashion an acrylic bracket.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I tried silicone at one time, however, I noticed the silicone doesn't stick at all (and I mean at all) to the rubber that the suction cups are made of ... however, I did come up with a solution that hasn't failed me once yet ... silicone lubricant. Looks and feels just like vaseline (but doesn't destroy rubber like vaseline does) and it's food/fish safe. You can usually find it in the plumbing section of Home Depot, etc. Just smear a tiny little bit of it on the back of the suction cup and stick it on ... now mind you I stuck all my suction cups on before fully filling the tank but I doubt this makes a difference.

Harry

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Muscle View Post
... however, I did come up with a solution that hasn't failed me once yet ... silicone lubricant. Looks and feels just like vaseline (but doesn't destroy rubber like vaseline does) and it's food/fish safe.
Silicone lubricant can be purchased at certain drugstores, and is fantastic for other underwater activities as well.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swylie View Post
Silicone lubricant can be purchased at certain drugstores, and is fantastic for other underwater activities as well.
Can you post some pics?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
IME there are two types of suction cups (is that the scientific name?) -- those that work and those that don't.

Some are made out of hard plastic which hardens further after a while in water, and then there is no sucking anymore. Others are made out of soft rubber and continuously stay put.

So maybe shop around for some better sucking cups.

But yes, silicone grease will tremendously increase sucking power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Petroleum jelly.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Thanks for the great new sig, Wass!

But yeah, I agree you should buy some different ones, my clear rubbery ones never come off to the point of driving me mad. Make sure the glass is super clean, too.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Are these real?

Oh my, hope you find a better one soon.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Awe c'mon... better?

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Are these real?

Thank you!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

NP

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Petroleum jelly.
Petroleum jelly (or vaseline) will harden and destroy real rubber over time ... better off using silicone grease or lubricant.

Harry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode