High PAR - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
High PAR

I was wondering how people get high PAR in their tanks? I have a custom 70gal pond/tank 36"L x 24"W x 19"H and I have a quad T5 HO bulb set up 8" from the top of the water, an at the brightest spot my PAR is only 50-75. I know that's a big jump but it's been awhile since I checked it an this was when the bulbs were old. The 75 was when I sat the light right on top of the tank. I read of others havin 100+ PAR or even 200+ an I'm just wondering how, I have to add that everything with my tank is fine I'm just askin for MOI that's all?

Wanted to know if anyone tried T5 HO bulbs with LEDs for daytime lights? I was thinking of adding some to my set up as I have dark spots in the front and back of the tank cuz of the 24" width, I can't find a aquarium light to cover my whole tank but I have found other lights cheaper that come with 6-12 T5 HO bulbs. I was gonna look into one of those first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
A 4x54 T5HO with good reflectors should easily provide high light to a tank that size. You might want to take a look at the reflectors and how your lights are spaced and possibly consider replacing the reflectors unless, of course, yours are just really dirty and a nice cleaning bumps up your light.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have two ten G. tanks. One has two single bulb T8 strip lights at front and back and the other has a dual bulb T5 fixture.
Bet you can't guess which one fills the tank with better viewing light.
The good LED light strips cost and the cheap ones aren't worth much for plant growth so buying two dual bulb T5
fixtures would be the same price as a good LED. One at the back and the other at the front.
BTW it might pay you to communicate/w the place where you are thinking about the multi bulb fixture as some of them
you can use less than the full amount of bulbs in for the same effect as two dual bulb fixtures just not quite as wide.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
50-75par should grow most plants..

I personally think anything above 70par is high light..

I have leds now and my par at substrate is about 85. If I turn them up more I get algae. When I had t5ho bulbs I couldnt go higher than about 75par without algae issues. Most likely a spectrum issue because I didnt use high quality bulbs.

Anything over 100par and it would take some serious balancing of ferts and co2.. ive never heard of a tank over 200par.. not saying it isnt true, I just have never seen one.

Algae scares me so I use light as my limiting factor.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
A 4x54 T5HO with good reflectors should easily provide high light to a tank that size. You might want to take a look at the reflectors and how your lights are spaced and possibly consider replacing the reflectors unless, of course, yours are just really dirty and a nice cleaning bumps up your light.
That's why I said my tank is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
I have two ten G. tanks. One has two single bulb T8 strip lights at front and back and the other has a dual bulb T5 fixture.
Bet you can't guess which one fills the tank with better viewing light.
The good LED light strips cost and the cheap ones aren't worth much for plant growth so buying two dual bulb T5
fixtures would be the same price as a good LED. One at the back and the other at the front.
BTW it might pay you to communicate/w the place where you are thinking about the multi bulb fixture as some of them
you can use less than the full amount of bulbs in for the same effect as two dual bulb fixtures just not quite as wide.
I don't wanna get a fixture with bulbs I'm not gonna use if I was to get a new light system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdenney View Post
50-75par should grow most plants..

I personally think anything above 70par is high light..

I have leds now and my par at substrate is about 85. If I turn them up more I get algae. When I had t5ho bulbs I couldnt go higher than about 75par without algae issues. Most likely a spectrum issue because I didnt use high quality bulbs.

Anything over 100par and it would take some serious balancing of ferts and co2.. ive never heard of a tank over 200par.. not saying it isnt true, I just have never seen one.

Algae scares me so I use light as my limiting factor.
What size tank u have sorry shopping an reading.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Planted Member

Those lights r over a 25 gallon. 18" of water and the lights are ten inches above water..

If I turn all channels to 100% im about 120umol at sub. Diy led
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Those must be some beefy lights lol. I'm used to nanos and my fugeray (according to finnex) only puts out 30 par at 12". You could hit 120 at 28"....pretty powerful leds!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
If you have hight lights, you better provide CO2 and nutrients appropriate to the intensity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 12:06 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS_1OO View Post
Those must be some beefy lights lol. I'm used to nanos and my fugeray (according to finnex) only puts out 30 par at 12". You could hit 120 at 28"....pretty powerful leds!
I have 31 3w leds controlled by a typhon board and ldd drivers. Its way over built, but im hoping to use it when I upgrade to a 40b. I actually only have one channel full. I could add another 30 leds if I wanted to get wild with it. There is room in the system. Heatsink and powersupply can both support that.

Trying to design a similar setup using a stormx controller and build a bigger setup for my 220 tank im trying to setup..
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdenney View Post
I have 31 3w leds controlled by a typhon board and ldd drivers. Its way over built, but im hoping to use it when I upgrade to a 40b. I actually only have one channel full. I could add another 30 leds if I wanted to get wild with it. There is room in the system. Heatsink and powersupply can both support that.

Trying to design a similar setup using a stormx controller and build a bigger setup for my 220 tank im trying to setup..
I like how this is sounding, saweeeeeeet.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't need much more than the ability to accept a timer on it but my main objection to LED can be overcome/w a DIY if I
had the proper "ingredients list". The two main are simple to remove IF one know techno junk on it.
The cheap ones are junk for plants and the good ones cost a fortune(to me) and are serious overkill for plants also.
That is IF you only want on the high end of the low level like I want. That one would be the info to know
how many of what color it takes to make that level A. and B. some spacers to spread it out with.
The second problem is this business/w the single strip. I hate having only one equivalet to one bulb that works good
only under the light and has shadows in all the rest of the tank. Dividing the necessary bulbs into two strips so
you could place one over the front and back would be best. So knowing how many bulbs it would take to make X
amount of PAR and then divide those between two strips would work for me.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
led aquarium lights, light system, par

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode