Plants:
dozen or so corksrew vals
5 various crypts
4 anubis
1 amazon
1 melon sword
1 bunch of red ludwigia
2 bunches of unknow plants

My plant are doing ok and I'm consdiering adding co2. My question is if I do this will the increase the need for water changes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
316 watts per gallon?
I'm assuming 316 watts total.
that's a little over 4wpg if that's the case.. Still way too high.
bring it down to 2.5 - 3.5 wpg..
And yes, you must add Co2 in high light unless you enjoy algae.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
316 watts per gallon?
I'm assuming 316 watts total.
that's a little over 4wpg if that's the case.. Still way too high.
bring it down to 2.5 - 3.5 wpg..
And yes, you must add Co2 in high light unless you enjoy algae.
Sorry. Yes it 316 watts total. I can easily take it downto 3.4 wpg.

Do you think the plants will grow any better with the co2 even though I am only using gravel??

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 01:43 AM
Children Boogie

Co2 is needed for plants to grow in addition to nutrients. You'll have fun battling algae otherwise.

Are you new to plants? I'd suggest reading up on it on this site and others. Using plain gravel is fine. Using aquatic soil is an extra bonus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Co2 is needed for plants to grow in addition to nutrients. You'll have fun battling algae otherwise.

Are you new to plants? I'd suggest reading up on it on this site and others. Using plain gravel is fine. Using aquatic soil is an extra bonus.
I always thought I knew a little more than the average aquarium owner but after coming to this site I pretty much feel like I know nothing.

Thanks for the info on the gravel. That was one thing I could not find a clear answer on.

I plan on hooking up my co2 tomorrow night.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:20 AM
Children Boogie

And add lots of plants.. stuff your tank full of plants. I don't think there's such a thing as too many plants.. Your tank won't be healthy if you have 2 little plants in a 75G. Basically all those lights & nutrients go to the algae instead.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NoObLet
co2 is always a good way to go you cant go wrong with it plants need co2 like people said if u use a glass diffuser it always make a cool bubbles that get ooooooouuuuuuu and ahhhhhhsss
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoObLet View Post
co2 is always a good way to go you cant go wrong with it plants need co2 like people said if u use a glass diffuser it always make a cool bubbles that get ooooooouuuuuuu and ahhhhhhsss
How long do you think a 10lb tank will last?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
a year or so with soleniod. And Good rate. and reactor

One month in.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

picked up a red sea difusser over lunch today. Noticed it said it's good for tanks up to 50 gallons. Since I have a 75 will it really make a difference?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
That little grey diffuser? I've heard mixed reviews. If bubbles come out of it, just make sure they get hit with the filter flow and blown around. You might be better putting a limewood block or glass diffuser under the filter flow. To figure out how much CO2 is being diffused, buy a drop checker either from ebay or from Blacksunshine in the swap and shop, or at least check the pH/KH chart.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
That little grey diffuser? I've heard mixed reviews. If bubbles come out of it, just make sure they get hit with the filter flow and blown around. You might be better putting a limewood block or glass diffuser under the filter flow. To figure out how much CO2 is being diffused, buy a drop checker either from ebay or from Blacksunshine in the swap and shop, or at least check the pH/KH chart.
It is grey in color but it seems kind of nice because you can use it as a bubble counter too. To me it doesn't seem much different than a glass difusser as they both have the ceramic disc at the top. I'm just concerned that it says good up to 50 gallons.

Never heard of a limewood block. I'll have to do some searches on that.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I looked into that one, as long as it sends out tiny bubbles then it's fine. Doesn't matter what the manufacturer says, what do they know anyway, "good up to 50gl" or any statement like that has to do with you bubble rate more than anything, they just want people to buy 2. With any kind of microbubbler whether it's a machine, glass or a hunk of wood, it really comes down to what you do from there, I stick mine under the filter flow to get the bubbles around more. If they can make smaller bubbles then they're more effective but in my experience they're generally all the same and the glass ones getting algae clogged faster. I used to use glass, now I use blocks, same thing as long as you don't get a crappy block, way way cheaper and easy to hide (my main reasoning). You can find a pack of them at petco for around $5, the coralifes are better than the red sea ones, the latter tends to leak CO2 out of the tubing connector before it gets pushed through the block, and they cost more.

If that thing doesn't send out any bubbles, then it's probably achieving 100% diffusion. If it sends bubbles that are bigger than a pin head, look into something else. If you want to do microbubbles and hide the diffuser, get a limewood block, If you want bubbles and look cool at the same time, get glass, then if you want to go techy, look into those powerhead venturi dealios or an inline reactor.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode