How much is too much? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much is too much?

Hey everyone,

been looking at some downed trees here in NJ, that look like they would make great pieces for my tank. But there's a dilemma, there's a lot of them I want, But I know I can't have all of it. Hence my question, how much is enough or too much? There are several hollowed out pieces, some that have holes through out and some that that are just about the length of my 55g, but with branches. All are dried out, thoroughly, and ripe for the picking. There won't be a problem getting it, public space. And I know I'm going to have to boil any pieces I gathered, at least attempt too. Which should get rid of any bark, insects or plant life left on the wood. But, again, how much is too much? I want to start putting this tank together in February so I have time to sterilize and make sure the wood sinks.

So what say you?

RevClyburn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's really up to you. Seems like you have a handle on things. It might be good to find out what kind of wood and find other people experience with it here online. Fill your tank (and maybe get a new tank setup - you know, because that wool would really look good in a new tank.

Use what you like sell the rest online...

Father of the Princess Zelda.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I would collect as much as you can find space to store(horde). If you're in the hobby for the long haul, your thoughts about the aquascapes will change over time as ypu look forward to different challenges in this hobby. It's nice to have a stock pile of hsardscape material to use.

As for an individual hardscape less is always better. Hardscape is used to accent the plants and should never over shadow them.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
I would have to say plus one on what dogfish said grab as much as u can an then grab some more sell some keep it for the future an so on I'll take a piece that looks like it will make a great underwater moss tree if u find one hell I'll even take 2.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks King,

I think most of it is Sweet gum and Oak. There's also some maple and elm to be had around here. I'll have to just get them pieces I want and see what they really are. As for others that have experiences with wood other than Manzanita, I'm new here so I'll have to dig in the archives for that info. And I don't know who's on here from NJ, that is trying this either. So, I'll be trying this a little blind.

As for a new tank, I have 55, 38, 20 and a 90, all except the 55 are empty. And the 90 still has some sand from when I had it set up as a reef. So, I can do that, but I have the kids working with me on this planted tank, so I think I'll just stay with the 55.

So, thanks for the inspiration, gonna try and get as much info and wood as I can to try out. I'll post the results so that others, like me, will know what to do.

Rev
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 02:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think the most important thing to do is find out what kind of wood it really is. Hard woods are what is best. Next removing the bark is necessary as this is where all the bad stuff lives ( bugs, fungus, mold and bacteria) and where rot starts. What I've been doing over the last year and a half with branches I removed from my live oak trees is leting them " age" outside. Once the bark started to get loose, I removed it and then placed the branches supported off the ground and let Mother Nature do her thing. I now have " drift wood" ranging from 2 feet to 6 feet. It still has to be soaked before placing in a tank of course. My attemp at DIY driftwood!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I see some totally awesome pieces, stripped of bark, hanging from electric cables.
Is that you, Dr Fishbait? All this time I thought it was from the hurricane

-Stef*
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Stef, My work is never done!
Going to finally be able to use my " drift wood" as I'm moving all of my tanks except one to our outside building (was a studio when our 2 older boys played music). Will have my 75g, 29g, 40 b and a couple of 10g s ( hope I'm not beening to ambitious!)
Was in BR ysterday for meeting. Got a couple cute zebra loaches at TAS.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sounds great Dr. Fishbait,

sounds like something I will find myself doing. I just see so much wood and here that can, IMO, be used. And I intend on curing the wood before I put it in my tank. Mother nature has already beat down some of the trees I want to use since they've been down for over 3-5 years. And there's still some effects of hurricane Sandy in some areas. So I can only imagine that most of the wood is aged/dried out.

So, I'll post some pics of whatever I get and maybe something about how I'm cleaning it. It helps when you know you can find some information.

So, thanks for the reply

Rev
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey Dogfish,

you can almost guarantee I'll have more than I initially intended to get, lol. I want enough to make the tank look good, but I also know that there will be a day when I want to re-scape things, so the extra can be used then. And if this turns out as good as I think it will I'll definitely be selling it off or giving it away. But more importantly, sharing the experience with others so they too can save some money. Just love it when I can get something for free. lol.

So thanks for the reply.

Rev
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Selling Hobby extras is a nice way to have the hobby support itself. But, it tends to be more trouble than it's worth.

It is nice to have a go to pile of driftwood, stones, sand & gravel when your reshaping. I have a collection of driftwood that sits near the veggie garden on old railroad ties aging just waiting to get called into service. Next to that a pile of river stones.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode