Stocking Plan, 6.6 gal planted. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stocking Plan, 6.6 gal planted.

setup a 6.6 bookshelf tank this past weekend. flourite, various plants, curio wood, 24w etc. well on my way to MTS this being my 3rd new tank this year.

this might be a little on the heavy side, but heres my stocking plan. let me know what you think:

4 x otos
2 x singapore shrimp
5 x zebra shrimp
12 x dwarf rasboras
2 x clown killifish
1 x dwarf gourami (centerpiece?)

i want to keep the fish small, to preserve the scale of this tank. all my plants are fine leaves like microsword, dwarf sag, dwarf baby tears, etc

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

20g Tall Low Tech Planted

Last edited by alohamonte; 10-09-2007 at 10:55 PM. Reason: name change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

couldnt wait

couldnt wait and bought fish at the lfs during lunch.

picked up:

12 x dwarf rasbora (maculatus)
5 x bumblebee shrimp
4 x oto
2 x thick lipped gourami

added that to the already 1x oto and 2 x singapore (asian fan) shrimp in the planted tank.

instead of killifish i'm going to look at something blue or green, like green neon tetras or emarld eye rasboras, in another 2-3 weeks.

pics up soon

Monte

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
I think the gouramies might snack on your shrimp

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

crap... i guess i could always move the shrimp into another tank if it gets rough. thanks for the heads up

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 01:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
Not to steal your thunder here but, it sounds as though your tank is REALLY overstocked. I have fewer fish in a tank twice the size as yours. Remember that you have less than 6.6 gallons once you add gravel and plants. I'm not really sure on the size of the rasboras but, I think that even 12 1/2 inch fish is still pushing it, not to mention everything else you've added...just a thought.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 02:57 AM
Planted Member

Agreed with the overstocking, but since you have already purchased your fauna, just make sure the tank goes through WC weekly.

On the other hand, I didn't know Singapore has a shrimp named after her.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 03:31 AM

3 otos starved in a 20 gallon tank after they finished the algae and wouldnt accept prepared foods.... I hope your otos eat prepared foods, there size doesnt show how much they eat....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

not worried about overstocking. its 6.6, but it's also 23" long. compare that to a 10 gal which is 20" and a 20 which is 24".

the dwarf rasboras are maybe 1/4 inch and the dwarf gouramis & otos maybe 3/4 inch. add it all up it's right around 8 1/4 inches of fish. digsy you clearly dont know of dwarf rasboras. they're the ideal nano fish, and people put a dozen in 1 gal setups with success.

also, the fish live in different parts of the tank so they're not competing for space. bottom, middle, top - one in each.

after 24 hrs, no problems with gouramis and shrimp. i didnt think there would be, but it was a good thing to double check. these thick-lipped gouramis also pick at algae, similar feeding behavior to the pearl gouramis in the 55 gal.

btw, singapore shrimp is also known as asian fan shrimp or bamboo shrimp

never had an oto starve, they've always been greedy feeders w/ pellets. their size does show how much they eat. they should have slightly rounded mid sections.

i'll put pics up in the photo section soon.

other tank info:
pH 6.6
temp 75F
light 15w soon to be 24w (fedex tracker says 2 more days)
dosing: excel and florapride
filter: HOB, bubble wand
plants: dwarf baby tears, microsword, 3 types of crypts, chainsword, dwarf sag, Aponogeton boivinianus (dont know common name), onion plant, tiger lotus
sub: flourite

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Your gourami WILL snack on some of those shrimp; if not the adults, certainly any juveniles.

Also, although the Bookcase tank is 24" long, how high is the water column after you subtract the depth of any substrate? Although those fish generally spread out to various parts of the tank if you've only a few inches in height they'll probably end up mixing a lot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode