Why is my KH getting higher? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Why is my KH getting higher?

My tap water is at 7.6KH. I set the tank up 2 weeks ago and the KH has been steadily rising to 11.2 now - this is having a dramatic effect on my CO2 reading.

I am going to do a 25% water change which should help. But is it normal for the KH to rise this much over a 2 week period? Would drift wood have anything to do with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Riley
Any rocks in the tank? What type of substrate are you using? A little more info will help us help you better.

--------------

Riley
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did the water change which brought the KH down to 10.2 and turned of my CO2 tank. My DC is getting a little greener (it was yellow.)

I'm using eco complete and I do have a couple of rocks in the tank which are from another tank. There is a small peice of driftwood. The tank is moderatelly planted and stocked with 15 rasporas.

Should I do another 25% water change tomorro or is that too much?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Any pictures of your rocks? is your Tank new? Because eco will raise KH the starting months

One month in.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes the tank is only 3 weeks old so it could be the Eco.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Could it be from your topoff water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Riley
Did you do the acid/vinegar test on the rocks to make sure they were safe? The method is taking a little vinegar, or diluted muriatic acid, and dabbing a little on the rock in question. If the rock starts to fizz.....its not safe for the tank and will screw with your parameters....i.e Kh etc

--------------

Riley
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McgJosh View Post
Could it be from your topoff water?
If you were just doing top-offs, that could do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
Did you do the acid/vinegar test on the rocks to make sure they were safe? The method is taking a little vinegar, or diluted muriatic acid, and dabbing a little on the rock in question. If the rock starts to fizz.....its not safe for the tank and will screw with your parameters....i.e Kh etc
Vinegar isn't strong enough to tell. Try straight muriatic acid.
Or put the rocks in a bucket of tap, and test after 1 day to allow for outagassing, and then in a week.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Are you saying he should try getting some R/O water, instead of the tap to help lower the KH?

+
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well if he started topping off with RO and his KH stopped increasing then the problem would be solved.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
If the problem is his top off water, and not anything in the tank, using RO to top off would keep the KH down. However, don't do this too much, I killed off a small aquarium of guppies this way. You do still need to do water changes.

FT: How often are you topping off vs water changing.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
3 weeks seems like a short time for top offs to be the culprit. Bottle #1 of the API nitrate test kit contains hydrochloric acid and will work in place of vinegar or muriatic acid to test if the rocks are alkaline. Pickling vinegar (10% acetic acid) also works better than ordinary vinegar (5% acetic acid). It's also wise to scrape some of the rocks surface first or test on a freshly broken piece, especially if you're stuck with vinegar, they can get encrusted with neutral substances and give false negative results.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode