Parasite in tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation

So I'm cycling my 100g with 4 fish ,I'm sitting in front of my tank and I see what looks like a super small piece of debris floating to the bottom so small its hard to see almost transparent but wht in color smaller than a small needle maybe 1/2 long right before it hits the bottom it wiggles and goes back up some then falls and repeats this process , I mean I had to take my glasses of to see it.
Now the question is , is this a parasite or soothing super small that came out of my savanna driftwood, there are no other signs of anything that I can see.
This was to small to take a pic of , I did catch it in a brine net but could not see it after I cough it.

After seeing this I would never start a suction on a hose again by mouth.

So what is my next action for this ?

Ok saw another one of these and it wiggled too ,freakin me out free floating in the water so small its hard to see .

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-17-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:23 AM
Algae Grower

Judging from your description, its probably a midge fly larvae or something similar. If so, it isn't parasitic and will do no harm to your tank's inhabitants.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 06:02 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
If it is thin like a human hair then it is likely some kind of detritus worm. They are not parasitic and are harmless. Parasites don't live for long outside a suitable host so virtually everything in our tanks that isn't on or inside a fish/snail is not parasitic (except leeches).

Usually they appear when you have some amount of mulm at the bottom of the tank, or if you haven't done a water change in a while.

Most people feel a little surprised/grossed out when they find some creepy crawly in their tank. You'll get over it soon enough and then be back to the gold standard of starting the siphon by mouth - just like the rest of us

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It does look like a short human hair and the bottom of the tank is fairly dirty just from my 2 golden algae eaters they work hard, after doing some reading/ research looks like these are from the bottom getting dirty and food that was used as a ammonia source small amount.
This tank is different than my others as its not a planted tank and has a pool sand bottom.

Thank you for your replies ,will do a good vacuum today with a 50% water change, i was having problems with my vacuum and had only done simple water changes before

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
I agree with Zapins, it took me a long time to get over the initial freak out that follows seeing some type of worm or unknown object. Usually they are harmless. Now watch out for planaria (they have a triangle shaped head and are much bigger than a hair) also watch out for leeches, most other worms are harmless and will only become food once you introduce more fish.

-Jacklyn
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The 4 fish right now are only 3 algae eaters and 1 cory cat so nothing to eat the worms yet.

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Cories love worms, but the worms have to be big enough for them to see and it sounds like your worm is too small to be a prey item. Baby fish or small tetras seem to eat them though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode