Bass with Koi/ Goldfish in a 2500 Gallon Pond - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Bass with Koi/ Goldfish in a 2500 Gallon Pond

I'm going to make a 2500 gallon pond. My mom really wants koi and/or goldfish and i want to try one or two bass since EVERYONE who has a pond has koi and goldfish (I've looked online and people seem to be split on whether that would work) If it would work I'm thinking that first I'd add a bunch of feeder rosy reds (i read that bass will be ok with koi if they get enough live food) in the setup of the pond (after extensive QT) (i'll put in pvc pipes and stuff like that that the rosy reds could hide in that the bass couldn't fit in when they get big) then wait a week for them to get settled in and add a few 3-4" bass (QT again) with koi and comet goldfish. I'd also add freshwater shrimp every once in a while so i don't flood my shrimp tank with shrimp and to lessen Bass aggression. It's legal where I live to have Bass you just have to jump through tons of hoops (forms, permits, promise not to purposefully breed, and not release them back into the wild after you keep them) Would this work? If it would should i get large or smallmouth bass? And what extra precautions should i take if any? And then what #s of each type would you suggest? Also would any types of plant work in this pond because i read koi and other carp eat vegetation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Where in the United States are you?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Pacific Northwest. Why?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Winter is why I asked.

You'll need to think about who will winter over and how deep you need to be in the ponds to do it.

Check with your DNR, I would think it would be best to keep a Bass sp. that is native to you area. Another thought might be an Arowana if you want a predator in the pond. You would need to house it indoors during winter. The nice thing no permits needed for keeping a native fish.

They are considered good luck in Asia. Might be pretty cool to have a Dragon your pond

Last edited by DogFish; 01-16-2014 at 01:44 AM. Reason: sp
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'd be keeping bass from a local pond and i'm digging it so i'll dig it up to 4 maybe 5 feet deep in parts if needed
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bass will eat anything that they can fit into their mouths. Young fish also are much more voracious than older fish (trying to grow before a bigger fish eats them).

If you want to keep a few you'll have to add them very last after you have a large population Rosy Reds to feed them.

Rosy's will breed very easily but Goldfish and Koi will both eat the fry. They also both enjoy a shrimp snack (I used to feed ghost shrimp to them when I kept them). They are are all omnivores not just vegetarians. .

I wouldn't add in bass for at least a year after adding the goldfish/Koi/Rosy's when you'll need to start controlling the population of the minnows.

You'll also need to make a reserve area of the pond where only the Rosy's can get too to breed and the fry to have a chance to put some size on (think 4-6" deep with lots of breeding area's. The larger this area is the better. I'd also recommend using the wild strain (fat-head minnow) as they are more effective at hiding.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm thinking of breeding the rosy reds in a separate tank. How long does it take for them to reach one inch after they hatch
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew. View Post
I'm thinking of breeding the rosy reds in a separate tank. How long does it take for them to reach one inch after they hatch
On the scale you talking about it might be cheaper to buy a large quantity of minnows from a hatchery vs, buying them. You'll want them in from the start as they will be controlling the enviable mosquito problem. None of us can beat Mother Nature when it coms to breeding fish. The natural food & sunlight in the pond trunps anything we can do in an aquarium.

The V - Excellent pont on adding the Apex predator fish well after the ponds ages.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post
You'll also need to make a reserve area of the pond where only the Rosy's can get too to breed and the fry to have a chance to put some size on (think 4-6" deep with lots of breeding area's. The larger this area is the better. I'd also recommend using the wild strain (fat-head minnow) as they are more effective at hiding.
Wouldn't birds and stuff eat them if they're in shallow water for an extended period of time though?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You'll need to plan on having some cover (vegetation, netting, etc) for the fish to hide in the shallow area to protect them. You'll still lose the majority of them but that's why you want such a prolific breeding species like Rosy Reds.

BTW PVC pipes are not that attractive in a pond. You can easily make spawning sites out of a couple of rocks and silicon. Make a lean-to structure with one side open about2". The males It needs to be 4-5" deep to make the male happy.

And the always accurate Wikipedia.

Quote:
Fathead minnows are fractional spawners, meaning they begin spawning when water temperatures approach 18 degrees Celsius and continuing until they drop below 18 degrees Celsius in late summer. Fractional spawning can result in 16 to 26 spawning events per female and an annual fecundity of 6,800 to 10,600 eggs per female. Juveniles display rapid growth, reaching 45–50 mm total length in 90 days, and most fathead minnows will die after spawning by the age of one year.[
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:48 AM
Algae Grower

Bass are apex predators, but they are also lazy. They have a very fast growth rate, and if the Rosie's get to be difficult for them, they will simply eat the koi/goldfish. You would also need to add other forms of food for them, such as crayfish (they are relatively easy to find and order online in large quantities) to keep them hunting all forms of food, and it will provide more nutrition. You would also need to keep massive quantities of rosies, as the bass would constantly eat them, as they are opportunistic hunters with their prey confined with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yea, bass eat everything. I've caught some especially when they are small that will try to eat bait even if it's too big for their mouth.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Way too much trouble for what it's worth.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:51 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/80%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishumms View Post
Yea, bass eat everything. I've caught some especially when they are small that will try to eat bait even if it's too big for their mouth.
Yeah, I've been fishing all of my life and bass literally will eat anything. Heck I've thrown my spinner bait out and before it hit the water the bass grabbed it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

I would try to get bluegill, redear sunfish, pumpkinseed sunfish, or longear sunfish. They won't eat you goldfish/koi (most likely), and they will add just as much color, if not more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode