Tank clarity issues - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank clarity issues

So I set my tank up at the beginning of October. Most of the goods came out of my old 65 gallon, less some new fish, plants and a coralife 12x uv sterilizer plumbed through a new fx6

So my issue is I can't seem to get my water anywhere near crystal clean

I got a medium tech 150 gallon, 32" tall.

Compressed co2 with a sera 1000 reactor. 4 T5HO 6500k, coralife 96Watt 6500K and 2 regular T5 10,000K.

Been doing pmdd at 4 drops a gallon/day plus some extra iron, nitrogen and monopotassium phosphate ever 2-3 days. Will be switching to EI in a few days and have two build my led lights on the way, one 6500K 90deg. and one 10,000K 75deg.

Lights are on for 12 hours a day. Drop checker shows light green so 30ppm+?

I have a FX6 with those bio stars, seachem matrix and purigien. Also have a fluval 406 with bio max. Both have polishing pads and coarse foam.

Plane jane black gravel with a few root tabs.

Can't get my water clear!!! There is a slight haze and very small particles, it seems like organic material.

My plants aren't doing that great and I feel they are degrading the water quality.

Water is as follows,
GH 120PPM(6.72)
KH 70PPM(3.92)
PH 6.6-6.8
Nitrates around 5-10ppm.
Nitrite and Ammonia 0ppm.

I'm open to suggestions. Anyone else have poor plant health that cause poor water clarity??

I've only recently dialed in my water with some equilibrium and baking soda. Maybe a week or so.

Let me know what you all think. Thanks and this place rocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a fx6 and a 406 ,the fx6 is to new for me to comment on the 406 is on a 27g and I still deal with clarity issues the polishing pads seem to slow flow and without them there is to much junk floating in the tank , on my next filter maint going to lighten the bio load and see if that helps , the only think I can think of is the trays are overloaded.

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 02:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Throw some seachem purigen in your canister. It polishes the water and keeps my tank crystal clear. You will see an improvement within a few hours. It helps absorb the excess organics in the water that filter floss can't catch

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have 250ml of purigen in the fx6. But I added that on Friday evening, I also cleaned the fx 6 and did my weekely 50% water change. This is the first time I've upped kh/gh right at a water change, hope that helps.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So today my water is clearer then it ever has been before. I tested my water and it came out at, GH 70PPM KH 80PPM PH 6.4 Nitrate 20-40PPM.
Do plants use up minerals to the point it effects the GH of the tank, its 50PPM lower then 4 days ago?? Also since my nitrates are kind of high should I back the ferts back? I did a water change on the 11th.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 03:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would say no. Keep the ferts consistent. Nitrates really don't start to affect anything until well over 100ppm I believe. Than again I never test. Testing is a good gauge, but observing your plants growth is an even better gauge I think. If your plants are growing fine and you have no algae issues than I say change nothing. when algae and poor plant growth start to show is when u have to re-evaluate your situation and have to find out what is out of balance. So what I'm saying is leave the tank alone and see what happens I've found the more I fidget with my tank, the more problems I have, and the more I leave it alone, the more it thrives. Interesting huh?

~Sam

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha isn't that always the case with things. Odd my GH would drop so much..
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

You should feel lucky, my GH was literally off the scale at one point. I live on giant limestone deposit. The tap water here taste like someone poured a spoonful of powder calcium in it. It has been my greatest enemy to date -__-

~Sam

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigger View Post
You should feel lucky, my GH was literally off the scale at one point. I live on giant limestone deposit. The tap water here taste like someone poured a spoonful of powder calcium in it. It has been my greatest enemy to date -__-
Oh I'm grateful my water is what it is, now that I know haha. Best 11$ I've spent.... I'm going to start another thread to see if anyone else has their GH drop in-between water changes. I just checked again and it was the same. Also the tank is back to its norm today haha. But on a bright side I got all the ferts to start EI this weekend.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So to anyone who stumbles on this old thread.

I had great water parameters, nitrate, kh, gh, ph but poor plant growth and water clarity.

I would say medium high tech, sera flora 1000, upgraded to 2 bml lights, ei dosing. I do have just plain jane painted gravel but use root tablets. I use a surface skimmer attached to my 406 so I had zero surface agitation.

So... long of the short I unplugged my sterilizer after reading about iron precipating out and seeing even more cloudy water after adding iron!!! Got rid of a ton of bio media out of my fx6 and pointed both outakes to the surface for mucho surface agaitation(led shimmer is amazing btw). And I added a second circulation pump, this one with a sponge filter.

Plant growth is noticeable after one week, and they just look more healthy, pearling, just finally after 3 months of frustration....oh and water is looking sooooo much better. Kinda unhappy with the micro bubbles from the sera flora 1000 though, now that I can separate them from crud.

So what are your people thoughts on the cause? Poor circulation, uv sterilizer 24/7, too much bio media(oh I read lots about this being impossible) or no enough surface agitation other than a skimmer(no surface film)? The latter is my biggest thought.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode