Just saying hello and sharing my tank specs. Also a question for those who know. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just saying hello and sharing my tank specs. Also a question for those who know.

Alright alright. This is kinda a repost and kinda a hello to everyone because I finally got bonefied and signed up officially to the site. I got into this hobby a just a few months back and have got the multi-tank bad. I started with a planted 29 and now I have 2 planted 10 gal's. But thats not all. I have an empty 20, and empty 55, and another empty 10. All with filters and heaters yada yada yada. I am literally just out of space though I have the fish stock. And by that I mean my current 10 gals are horribly overstocked. More on that in a bit. So I had a thought. What about an outdoor tank? I thought to myself. I have seen videos of people doing it, so it must be possible with the right fish. Also I want to add, really what got me into this is plants. Aquaponics at first then planted tanks. I want to have a heavly planted tank, out on my patio. Whats more, I want to have that tank as my dojo loach tank. I am thinking either the 55 or 20 gal. I am to understand that they are "coldwater" fish and warmer water shortens their lifespans because it speeds up their metabolism. All this is well and good except, oh yeah I live in a desert. The temps here come June can reach up to and over 100F for a week straight. Now the tank would be always in the shade so I dont think prolonged heat would be an issue so much as drastic daily temperature fluxuations. 80's at night, 98+ during the day for months. You guys think the dojos could handle it? Or even the plants for that matter? (Any good species suggestions)

While I am here, I will share my tank specifications as we are so want to do.

1) First ever tank, 29ish gallon. Community tropical dirted planted. I kinda went plant crazy on this one. Got stuff from local rivers and LFS and just jammed it in there. Way to many species to count and I for sure have no idea what more than half are called. I have 1, 2 tube T5 light over it, not high output and not sure on the wattage. The filter for this is a 5 gallon bucket cut in half used as a grow bed for an ebb and flow aquaponics system. And its working flawlessly. I have the following species of fauna:
2-Neon Tetra (the rest got sick in an ick epidemic, started with 5)
4-Black Skirt Tetra
2-Platy
1-Chinese Algae Eater
1-Endlers Guppy
3-Fancy Guppy (2 male, 1 female)
2-Diamond Guppy (1 male, 1 female)
3-African Dwarf Frogs
2-Red Cherry Shrimp
3-Ghost Shrimp
A bunch of snails
A link to another post about this tank is here.
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/hey-fi.....-296938.html

As well as a link to a video here.

2. 10 Gal, community tropical dirted planted. Rescued this one from Craigslist as well as the other 10. And I do mean rescued. I combined all the fish from the two tanks and cleaned the worse kept of the two for use as a quarantine tank. 13 species of plants with a 23W CFL and HOB filter, and the fauna are:
2-White Skirt Tetra
1-Serpae Tetra
3-Danios
1-Rasbora
4-Ghost Shrimp

3. 10 Gal, was quarantine and is now temporary community. Non dirted (yet), but does have plants with a 13W CFL and HOB filter. Fauna includes:
5-Neon Tetras
3-Dojo Loaches
1-Bush Nosed Pleco

And thats all folks, thoughts, ideas, opinions. Or if you have extra plants and you want them to go to a good home. HIT ME UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
My Aquaponic system link is in my sig line.

Things I've learned:

>You need a lot of bio load to create enough nitrates to maintain veggies.
>>On a small scale it will never be more than a novelty, and certainly is not a cost effective way to grow veggies.
>>> You never have a large enough grow bed

In you situation you'll need to find a way to keep the water temp @ or under 80degrees.

Temp fluctuations aren't really that bad if you start with hardy stock & keep the water quality high.

This is a 1/2 Whiskey barrel 'pond' I ran summer 2012. Temps would swing 10degrees at times. I had Cherry Barbs in it, had them spawn on a regular basis.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode