DIY Air Pump ! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Air Pump !

Ive made it with a power head i had at home and an air tube. Works better than any air stone ive ever had.

Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram @ Enshacra87
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do you have a tank journal?

40B Cold water planted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Sometimes simple is the best answer.

Love the Frontosa, one of my Favorite fish!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
why do u think u need to pump air into ur tank?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwater King View Post
Do you have a tank journal?
yes i have a few!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=504281
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=316017

Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel

Instagram @ Enshacra87
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
why do u think u need to pump air into ur tank?

Because i have very big fish in there that need good air flow.
When they were in my 200 n the powerhead wasnt close enough to surface n not much air was being pumped i woke up to a tankful of suffocating fish. Its very important to have air pumped when owning big fish what require lots of oxygenation.

I rather put more than less.

Youtube Channel

Instagram @ Enshacra87
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Sometimes simple is the best answer.

Love the Frontosa, one of my Favorite fish!
thanks! i just came up with this cuz i needed a new powerhead yet had 3 of this kind that i wasnt using cuz i thought they were just for filtration, yet i got 2 big filters already, but once i just connected the air wire, it worked super well!

Youtube Channel

Instagram @ Enshacra87
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's a few more reasons why you need a good air pump

What oxygenates water?

2 things :

1 -Plants -during the day (at night they produce co2)

2 -Water Surface movement. (when the surface is moved, it allows air to go into the water n the co2 to leave the water)

Now in the nature we have either plants or waves taking care of it. But in aquariums, if you don't have enough plant ratio to produce the right amount of oxygen for your fish, then you need some other source of oxygenation.

A filter will not necessarily properly oxygenate the water. You need to put the out-take close t the water surface so that it brakes the layer of stagnant water n allows O2 to come inside the tank.. Now not all filters to do that ! some barely move the surface, making the top layer of water somewhat murky n oily from stagnation.

Some people would opt for an stone. Usually placed at the bottom. But to properly oxygenate the water the air bubbles must be very fine to be well absorbed the the fish. But some air stones or anything similar to those, produce large bubbles that are inefficient to oxygenate the water inside aquarium.

This is when people begin using rotation power heads (mostly seen in reef aquarium) they brake the surface n the rotation of the pump distributes very fine air bubbles right into aquarium. This will happen only if the power head is close to the surface, otherwise you're just making waves across the tank.

But with this power head filter that i've used.. you can place it at any level of the aquarium n it will still perfectly oxygenate the tank, because the air its pumping into the water is being taking from outside the aquarium. (make sure your wire stays always out of the water.. for this to work -suction cup on wire into the outside glass works best)

Youtube Channel

Instagram @ Enshacra87

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode