Switching to RO or RODI in planted nano??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Switching to RO or RODI in planted nano???

I have Evolve 8 planted tank with a couple fish (Beta and two CPDs). It has Ecocomplete and easy plants (dwarf sag, Ludwigia, Java fern, java moss, etc.). I dose Flourish Excel (recommended dose) every 2 days and Flouish Comprehensive as recommended by bottle. I also have Flourish Iron.

I have been battling algae and am thinking of switching to RO or RODI.

Will a switch to RO or RODI likely help with the algae problems?

If I switch to RO or RODI, do I need to add anything to the water to change Ph, add nutients, etc? If so, what is easy and not super expensive?

Any other tips appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Switching to RO will not do anything for an algae problem. This seems to be a new misconception on this forum, where are you guys hearing that RO fixes algae problems? Likely putting your light on a timer and running it for less than 8 hours a day will help. I'm guessing here, you didn't say much about your setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Switching to RO will not do anything for an algae problem. This seems to be a new misconception on this forum, where are you guys hearing that RO fixes algae problems? .
Actually, I'm more of a saltwater guy and the link between algae and tap water is thought to be well known.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have used 100% rodi from day 1 my algae was from me dosing ferts once I backed of that things balanced again , I use ro because of what the city adds to the water! I just installed a system now I drink ro and the tanks get rodi.

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqguy View Post
I have used 100% rodi from day
Do you add any conditioners, nutrients, etc. to the RODI water OR just fertilizer for the plants?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
That may be true with saltwater setups but RODI water will not fix your algae problems in freshwater.

Regards,
Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In a marine setup your are trying to carefully balance the minerals in the tank. RO/DI water has very little minerals in it so it has a minimal impact on the balancing. If you get the balanced messed up in Saltwater then you either kill stuff or grow a lot of algae.

In freshwater planted tank you also need to balance out the nutrients etc to avoid algae however it's not as delicate as a saltwater setup. Using RO/DI won't solve the problem if the issue is low nitrates, not enough CO2, or too much light.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Now, WHY do we use RO/DI on marine tanks to avoid algae?
According to Reef Central, "Tap water often contains impurities that can cause problems when added to your aquarium. These may include phosphates, nitrates, chlorine, and various heavy metals. Excessive phosphate and nitrate levels can cause an algae bloom. Copper is often present in tap water due to leaching from pipes and is highly toxic to invertebrates. An RO/DI filter removes practically all of these impurities."

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post
In a marine setup your are trying to carefully balance the minerals in the tank. RO/DI water has very little minerals in it so it has a minimal impact on the balancing. If you get the balanced messed up in Saltwater then you either kill stuff or grow a lot of algae.

In freshwater planted tank you also need to balance out the nutrients etc to avoid algae however it's not as delicate as a saltwater setup. Using RO/DI won't solve the problem if the issue is low nitrates, not enough CO2, or too much light.
Thanks for adding further clarification.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-08-2014 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duganderson View Post
According to Reef Central, "Excessive phosphate and nitrate levels can cause an algae bloom. An RO/DI filter removes practically all of these impurities."
Right, phosphates and nitrates are the biggies that reefers don't want in their make up water for "algae prevention".

Well, guess what?

We (planted tank nerds) add nitrates and phosphates in great excess to our tanks to help plants grow quickly (consequently, fast growing plants will out-compete algae for these nutrients).

Just a suggestion, forget everything you know about saltwater, nearly NONE of it transfers to planted aquariums.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
In addition, high nitrate and phosphate levels are not common in most tap water.

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That make sense.

At least some of my reef aquarium knowledge applies such as cleaning the pump on my freshwater tank that stopped working.

Quote:
Right, phosphates and nitrates are the biggies that reefers don't want in their make up water for "algae prevention".

Well, guess what?

We (planted tank nerds) add nitrates and phosphates in great excess to our tanks to help plants grow quickly (consequently, fast growing plants will out-compete algae for these nutrients).

Just a suggestion, forget everything you know about saltwater, nearly NONE of it transfers to planted aquariums.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Do you add any conditioners, nutrients, etc. to the RODI water OR just fertilizer for the plants?
I add GH boster & alkaline buffer for KH if it raises PH to much then very little acid buffer to lower ph.
If you dose pps pro you only need to add calcium to your tank the ferts do the rest not sure about the EI method.

I prefer to set my water perimeters to my liking
Gh 7
Kh 2
Ph 6.6
Now I'm starting a cichlid tank so that water will be mixed different.

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Ferts is nutrients. When you use RO/DI you have removed all the nutrients from the water so you're pretty much working with a clean sheet. In order to add those nutrients back you have to add ferts. Reason why RO/DI is pretty much useless in planted tanks. Only exception is if you have really bad water or certain fish that require special water parameters. 0 TDS pure water doesn't always equal better and it certainly doesn't prevent algae in ether environment.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode