Im starting an emersed tank...? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Im starting an emersed tank...?

This might b in the wrong section mods.. couldnt find a dedicated emersed location. . Anyways

Went to petco and grabbed a 10 gal for $10.. and cut some two liters. Put some dirt and layed the plants stems down on the soil... filled a few inches with water change water from a full ei tank.

Cover with seran wrap and added a 4x24watt t5ho setup I had from my old setup.. lights on 9am-9pm.

Questions:

Tank temp is hovering around 85f during photoperiod and 99% humidty until 2pm ish and drops to 90% by lights off.. is this ok??

And is there anything im missing?? Is it really that simple??

Pics:
Only plants I added were alternanthera reinecki and some sort of ludwigia so far..

Open to all suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1388863586605.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	254825  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1388863600755.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	254833  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1388863611100.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	254841  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Yup, it's really that simple. That's a lot of light for an emersed set up, but if it's what you've got, it's great. Hahaha... Now you just need more plants!
A lot of people say to air it out daily. I've found that if I only loosely attach the plastic wrap it works well. My 55 emersed still has the same scrap piece of plastic wrap I started it with many months ago, which just kind of sits on top of the tank being held down by the light.

Something else to consider, especially with such high light levels, would be to chop up some moss and spread it on your substrate. It'll quickly convert to emersed and will help keep any sort of fungi from developing on the substrate. I recommend chopping the moss with scissors into small bits(~ .25") from my personal experiences. The moss seems to adapt and begin growing much quicker than if tossed on in whole pieces/strands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-06-2014 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Most mosses you can throw into the blender with a little bit of buttermilk then just use the moss/milk smoothie you make to water the area you want covered and BAM! It will grow like a weed everywhere you poured it.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Something else to consider, especially with such high light levels, would be to chop up some moss and spread it on your substrate. It'll quickly convert to emersed and will help keep any sort of fungi from developing on the substrate. I recommend chopping the moss with scissors into small bits(~ .25") from my personal experiences. The moss seems to adapt and begin growing much quicker than if tossed on in whole pieces/strands.
Yeah I can run only two bulbs, but I was hoping for faster growth.. I will get some moss and cover the substrate.

Thanks
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Anybody got a guess on how long until I see any activity??? And im supposed to lay the stems on the dirt right??
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Were the plants already in their emersed state or had they previously been submerged? I'd probably guess anywhere from a few days up to a week, maybe two.

RAOK Club #24
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm doing this right now too in a spare 50g tall. Kinda ghetto at the moment, but I run a heat lamp 24/7 over the tank to keep humidity up (wondering if I need it at all now), but I use my Satellite Freshwater LED+ so I really get no heat from that. I have a spare 5g tank in there right now to contribute to humidity that will soon be a waterfall/pond. I have anubias, crypts, hygro, and some petco dwarf hair grass at the moment and it's been about a week. I haven't seen growth yet. As for the stem plants, I planted the stems and rested the rest of the plant on a piece of driftwood till the stems adjust (thicken) to emersed growth. I've heard the moss trick too, as mold just started to appear in my tank, gonna give it a go as well. Can't wait to see some nice growth though. Good luck!

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Were the plants already in their emersed state or had they previously been submerged? I'd probably guess anywhere from a few days up to a week, maybe two.
They were from a submersed tank.

High co2 light and full ei.. dont know if that makes a difference.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Plants are starting to grow.. now what??

First plant is alternanthera reinecki..spellcheck.. second is ludwigia repens I think..

Trim off the dead leaves or what or what do I do now?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389211848228.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	256889  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389211859682.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	256897  

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Planted Member

here is a picture of the emersed tub i started not too long ago. Should I be misting with RO, tank water or an enhanced nutrient? Im getting a few yellow leaves on my anubias.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffE View Post

here is a picture of the emersed tub i started not too long ago. Should I be misting with RO, tank water or an enhanced nutrient? Im getting a few yellow leaves on my anubias.
Sound like a nutrient deficiency to me. I dont know much about emersed yet either..

I use my water change water from my display tank. Its full ei so I figure the water should b good to go as far as nutrients r concerned.. I would not use ro water.. at all... just my opinion.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:03 AM
Planted Member

hmm using full ei water here too.. ive switched to using water with a little extra fertilizer in it we will see if it does better.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
why not use natural indirect sunlight and save some electricity?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
why not use natural indirect sunlight and save some electricity?

That's fairly common in a lot of places during the warmer months of the year.

RAOK Club #24
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 07:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Im starting an emersed tank...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffE View Post

I mist with water out if my tanks. My substrate mixture has O+ mixed in to supply nutrients to the plants.

Are your yellow leaves the new or old leaves? I find that my emersed Anubias leaves start out a brownish yellow before slowly changing to green as they age. Submersed they always seem to be more of a bright green when new. This is just my experience though...

RAOK Club #24

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode