Essential planted tank books?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone have any suggestions as far as must have planted tank books? I have a few Amano books but are looking for more informational based books rather than eye candy. I have some interest in the Baensch Aquarium Atlas series (1,2, and 3.) but are fairly expensive investments ($50 a piece). Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 04:07 AM

If your looking for an informative and up to date book, I'd go with the translated version of Aquarium Plants by Christel Kasselmann. It has a picture and maintainance information for a large number of plants

"From Book News, Inc. Aquarium Plants Kasselmann, Christel A guide to aquatic and marsh plants that can be grown in aquariums by hobbyists and botanists. Alphabetically arranged by scientific name, the 300-plus entries list synonyms, etymology, geographical distribution, characteristics for plant identification, cultivation recommendations, and natural ecology. The book begins with a chapter on the importance of ecological factors in the cultivation of aquarium plants. The color photographs are abundant. Originally published in German as Aquarienpflanzen by Eugen Ulmer in 1995. The author edits a German aquarium plant magazine."

I ordered it from www.aquatic-store.com a week ago for 59.99 ($70.00 if you include shipping and tax) and it should be on my doorstep tomorrow. I got the last one he had, but he's ordering more and it's a great price, so just let him know you're interested.

If you're looking for something a little more inexpensive, say 7 bucks, I found Aquarium Plants Manual to be a great book for such a low price.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Excellent suggestion I have one on the way (assuming its not on back-order). This is exactly what I was looking for-Thanks

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 08:10 PM

Mine was just dropped off....WOW!!!!! You won't be disappointed.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Funny thing that you mention it. I was looking in to ordering that book at lunch. Just don't have the moula yet.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Kassleman is not that good for essential plant book dude.... it's so hyped up....you ever hear about how good a movie is and then when you go to actually watch it , it's not that good???? that's exactly what this book is.... it shows many rare plants that you most likely will never keep in your aquarium... the best basic book to get is Aquarium Plants Manual by Ines Scheurman.....for the money...it has EVERYTHING you need to know on how to take care of books....trust me ok, I've bought everything...i have all three volumes of amano books (good for inspiration and ideas), i have the kasselmann book, diana walstad's, aquarium plant encyclopedia...not to mention a lot of books that i've read at the library (did a lot of research)....the small little 5 dollar Manual was THE BEST book.... AND THE CHEAPEST LOL

but then again if you have the money to throw around, then see for yourself whether you like it or not.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubbahehe
best basic book to get is Aquarium Plants Manual by Ines Scheurman.....for the money...it has EVERYTHING you need to know on how to take care of books....

I know how to take care of books!!!

Sorry. Just messing with you. ...I know what you mean.

The only problem with THAT book is that they define Riccia as Java Moss and Java Moss as riccia.

Check it out. It's in the back.

Also, they're picture of Ammania G. looks kind of suspect at first. (The one on the inside back cover of the book)

But I agree. It is a nice little book. I don't think it's as great as you make it out to be, but that's just me.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

hey fat guy, if you 've gone through as many aquatic plant books as i have, then you'll know what i mean.... it's all about going back to basics....

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 06:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubbahehe
hey fat guy, if you 've gone through as many aquatic plant books as i have, then you'll know what i mean.... it's all about going back to basics....
I think I DO know what you mean.

That's why I still don't think that book is that great. It's a nice starter, but I don't like it when books classify plants incorrectly...not difficult plants to identify either.

I've looked through the Kasselman book many times. I don't own it though because it costs so much. But I have to disagree with you. I think that it is much better then the Aquarium plants manual.

Sorry der Hubs. Can't just can't agree with ya

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm the master of the universe!!!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

well alright then

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 07:14 PM

Yeah Scheurman's book is good, but it does classify plants as well as fish incorrectly. Cardinal Tetras are labeled as Neons. :roll:
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Finally got my kasselman book. Amazingly detailed and full of information! If anyone is serious about aquatic plants this is a must-have. Thanks again for the suggestion sedgehammer!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 07:24 AM

Hi

Diana Walstad, Ecology of the planted aquarium is essential reading for anyone that is into plant tanks.

Morpheus.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 03:40 PM

If you like Amano's books and the whole Natural aquarium theme, then get the Natural Aquarium by Satoshi Yoshino and Doshin Kobayashi. The designs in there were tested and approved by Dr. Herbert Aexlrod, and is just as inspiring as the Amano books in my opinion.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode