One more tank........ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Well I finally broke the wife down and managed to get one more tank into the house. It's a 46 gallon bow front from WalMart with the stand (metal) strip light and glass canopy. All for the grand total of $148. I was going to do an African Cichlid tank but the wife was looking at my Baensch Aquarium Atlas Volume 3 and loved the M. boesemani on the cover. So I may end up doing a low light tank for them. I was thinking of getting some wood, cutting it into small 2"-3" pieces and gluing them to the inside back wall of the tank and then tying Java Fern on them for a back wall of Java Fern. Might look pretty good. Then plant some smaller crypts for the fore ground and maybe some C. balansae or C. spiralis or C. retrospiralis in front of the Java Fern.

Any thoughts on this planting plan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Sounds pretty cool Rex. I like the idea of a java fern wall, sounds very interesting. You could also do Anubias in the tank, unless your plan was to limit it to java fern and crypts.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I might do some Anubias also. I'm thinking of just dropping a 96 watt AH Supply kit into the strip and going with a low tech no CO2 tank.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
That's a good way to go. I have 96 watts over my 45 gallon tank and I'm growing all the plants you've mentioned. Very nice and low maintenance.

George

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 01:27 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sounds interesting Rex especially with the java fern, I think though that if you stuck cork onto the tank rear then planted with java this would give a submerged buttress look to it.

Anyway you will no doubt form your own opinion.

Incidently went to your site, thought it was informative and somewhat amusing. Thought being banned for use of the S***t word was a bit rough, and the comment you made was not that insulting, have had worse said to myself.

Anyway best of luck with the new tank.

Paul
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It was a toss up between cork and wood. I still have not quite made up my mind either way. So long as I attach a rough surface for the Java Fern to attach to I'm fine.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
LOL! I like your case study of the Eco-Aqualizer...nice one! A small nuclear core..LMAO!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode